Hampton Virgina?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

vabottles69

Reaction score
[8|] Hello everyone - I'm brand new here and just started collecting ... I love your site and have been learning so much. I guess i would consider myself a privy digger although I only have one spot i go to find old bottle / not much of a spot but a few old bottles have popped up so to speak. I would love to find someone to dig with. I'm not a dealer, resaler / or into tumbling at this piont not that i knock any of that just haven't grown into anything but the love of old bottles as funny as it sounds.... I really just enjoy looking for and giving an old dirty bottle a new home and saving it from being lost for ever. I will post a few pics from my last tiny spot i found / stumbled on...lol Anyway not to carry on tooooo much .. Its a pleasure to be a member and to say hello to all of you and I hope to go on my first real privy dig one day soon or to find someone local to partner up with to hunt down a spot.....
Best wishes to all - and that next bottle found is a treasure no matter how big or small how whole or chipped.[;)]

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
We live in Harrisonburg...You line up a permission privy dig or a pre1910's dump, we will make the trip.

vabottles69

Reaction score
[:mad:] Been a new memeber here for a few months now. Is there anyone from VA that would accept a new digging partner? I'm willing to drive good distance to go on my first dig..... REALLY really love bottles and the history .. Have asked a few on here to go dig. I would even be willing to drive out of state !! Not much responce as of yet.. But remeber your first dig and the excitment....lol Hook a fellow bottle lover up. I'm in the military on shore and strong back and can hold great coversation...lol Thats all for now and best wishes to all diggers out there.
Thanks in advance ...Jon

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Don't live in VA but know of a dump in Norfolk in the city that has been hammered hard but still produces. Mostly sodas from the twenties, whitehouse vinegar jugs, etc. It is behind Magnolia Cemetary in the Berkley area of Norfolk. Take East Indian River Rd to E. Berkley Ave. Evidently, locals don't mind much because this dump has been cratered for years. Nobody bothered me though I'm not sure how safe the area is. The area is behind the back fence of the cemetary and covered with wisteria vines. Find a place near the back where people have tunneled and dig straight down to where they've tunneled. Not a big producer, but definitely still some sodas there. If you find my yellow headlamp I'd like it back.

vabottles69

Reaction score
Cobaltbot-[:)]
Thanks !! Thanks much for the info- being somewhat new to this any new spots are welcome. Would love to dig with others sometime - too.
I will hit this spot in the next week- I will post any finds - again thanks and keep diggin to keep history alive. If I get any doubles I will send them to you for free, just for the heads up !!
Jon[;)]

vabottles69

Reaction score
[:mad:] Hate to ask for more specifics. I went out there in my chiefs uniform during lunch- I drove to the back side of the Cemitary and no fence ? Just a water way- I did see the fence running along the side - Not far from the W-3 ship yard there - Is this area adjacent to the road running to the entrence of the ship yard? Can you please give just a few more details to help locate... Would like to dig a little this weekend. Nice little area out there- I noticed the ship from the movie "VIRUS" to the right on the way in the area. How long ago since you have been there? Looking forward to your update........JON[:D][:D][:D]!!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Sorry about that, I did need to better those directions as there is Riverside Memorial Cemetary on the right where Indian River splits with E. Berkley Ave. I forgot and that one threw me off when I was first looking. They keep the records now for Magnolia Cemetary. Go past them and bear left on E. Berkley. In just a little ways turn left on Berkley Avenue Ext (I think there's a light there and Farquar or something like that goes right and Berkley Avenue Ext goes left. You will now see a really fine old cemetary to your left. Lancaster street is the entrance. Turn left into the cemetary and drive all the way through to the back. Turn left and park against the back fence. The area between the fence and a small polluted drainage creek is the dump. There's a small gate along the fence. You can't miss it this time. You'll see the craters in the wisteria shrubs and find Davis OK baking sodas, other slicks and broken sodas lying around. Again, I'd advise going to the left of the gate diagonally back toward the creek and back near the creek you'll see craters that people have tunneled a certain direction. I'd advise digging straight down from the top toward the area being tunneled to. Bring garden shears for cutting roots. I left my yellow headlamp in one of those holes. Also left behind a small teaset size plate with blue writing on it by mistake at another hole. I'm sure both are gone as it is obvious that this place is still occasionally active. Dug there twice and nobody bothered me both times (the neighbors were real quiet[:)]) It does look like the homeless/transients have occasionally lived there. Good Luck!!!

vabottles69

Reaction score
[:D] All I can say is Thanks, Thanks again. I will scope it out today during lunch and if I locate it I will be there this weekend. You remeber your first real dig and how you felt...lol That will be me, although I have a couple of spots that I have found bottles - That I go to during low tide. I have never really found a spot to dig. If you remeber any other spots - I would appreciate it. I will honor my word and send you and doubles and will look for your plate and headlight. I really just love the history of bottles and love fidding out the history of them, even enjoy cleaning them... I have not yet built a tombler yet.. I can see that in the future though. I do not resale or sale for buisiness. I beieve in a clean dug look for the most part and trading... Just funny like that. Would love to meet sometime... For you are the first to share info that i run into. I'm sharing this with someone who hasn't dug before and will take him with. share history and keep digging. If you want to talk off line a little more here is my screening email jettajon69@hotmail.com.. From ther i will give you my email i use for friends....So we can talk more if you want and I can send you pics ect...
Jon

vabottles69

Reaction score
[:D]
That place is wonderful - especially for a beginner like me.... Its been dug pretty hard - But i dug a few keepers. They are soaking in a solution to be cleaned up soon... I will post some pics in a week or so.. Thanks again - I owe you ..big time tell me if you want or need anything... what type of bottles are you really into..Maybe cobalt blue.. Talk soon look forward to hearing from ya..
Jon....

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Alright! good on ya, glad you found something. Yeah that place is really pock marked but they missed stuff. You do have to dig alot for only a few but it was worth it to me. Also an education to see a lot of broken sodas from the 20's - 30's. You don't owe me anything, but if you do get a dinged up double that you've got absolutely nothing else to do with keep me in mind. Here's links that have my two trips included in them:
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-102821/mpage-1/key-Norfolk/tm.htm#102826

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-121706/mpage-1/key-Norfolk/tm.htm#121711

I really liked the Maypop bottle with the tree embossed on it, would like to find a whole one of those. Good luck and have fun!

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson