Have you dug the Jamestown, N.Y., dumps recently?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pontiled

Reaction score
More than 30 years ago, I would drive up from Virginia to Jamestown, N.Y., and dig one of the 2 dumps found there. Now, I have no idea if they are still around, paved over for a building, or under a building. The stroke more than 3 years ago has curtailed any digging.

We've dug many, many blob tops, some very scarce canning jars, crocks, coins, pontiled bottles, and loads of interesting medicines and inks. I doubt that they are still there, but I'm curious if you've dug them. I won't tell you exactly where they are because it may start a rush to find them and dig them out. The way they were, it would have been impossible to completely dig them, but you never know.

Hey, how about some more digging reports? I can't dig, but I certainly have some great memories and I enjoy hearing from others.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I just wrote a dig story Mike, I dug a space man skull up, but no one wants to read about it hahaha!! you have to be a little nutz to do what we do and I like to let it show![8D] Rick

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hey Pontiled....I live vr nearby there....(in fact we had a place on chautaqua, summers growing up when my Dad was still alive....I know of a couple dumps in blockville/celeron area,....but oddly, not of the Jamestown city dumps....Do most of my digging back this way, but I do remember a Jamestown digger whom has passed on,..Do you happen to remember Chuck Boehler?He sold off road motorcycles near Jamestown...(Frewsburg)....Interesting post....Right now I live near Salamanca NY....Good to read your post. Joe
ORIGINAL: Pontiled

More than 30 years ago, I would drive up from Virginia to Jamestown, N.Y., and dig one of the 2 dumps found there. Now, I have no idea if they are still around, paved over for a building, or under a building. The stroke more than 3 years ago has curtailed any digging.

We've dug many, many blob tops, some very scarce canning jars, crocks, coins, pontiled bottles, and loads of interesting medicines and inks. I doubt that they are still there, but I'm curious if you've dug them. I won't tell you exactly where they are because it may start a rush to find them and dig them out. The way they were, it would have been impossible to completely dig them, but you never know.

Hey, how about some more digging reports? I can't dig, but I certainly have some great memories and I enjoy hearing from others.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hi Rick and Joe! The space man skull would be a hit among bottle diggers!

I've been through Salamanca many times. Yes, I knew Chuck Boehler! It's sad to see that he passed away. He's probably digging some dumps up in heaven! Do/did you know John Dobmeier? He was the one who invited me up to Jamestown and we invited his family to be tourist in Washington, D.C. He used to have a great family, but I haven't seen any of them in many years!

Hey fellows, thanks for answering my post!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hey there pontiled,...Never met John Dobmeier,...Just Chuck and his wife 'cookie'....I remember Chuck emptying out his racing trophy cases for bottles, also remember he glued two different squat sodas together to make one good one (cut and ground right around the waistline of the bottle)...anyhow, I was just getting into digging back then but remember his bottles and how amazing they were and how into it he was....I'm sure that has influenced me till this day, If I had to guess I'd say that was right around 1978/1979...anyhow happy bottle collecting! Joe

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey