Have You Dug Your Home's Privy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
I was just thinking about where my house's privy might be. It's not old enough to bother digging up, but it made me wonder; How many of you have dug the privy from your own house??

rockbot

Reaction score
No privy but I do have an old farm dump.[;)]
My area used to be an ancient taro patch, sugarcane field, chicken farm and now me![:D]

towhead

Reaction score
No privy...an old logging railroad, and some junk from maybe the 1960's. But, the neighbors house was built in 1913...been looking around there... -Julie

Jim

Reaction score
No privy here [>:] My house was built in 1929, and the sewer system was already here. There is a small dump up in my wooded area, but it's all screw-cap 40s-50s junk. I did check long ago for milks, sodas or anything else worth having. I found a few marbles and a silver dime, but that was it.

When I finish restoring this house and pay off my truck in a few years, I plan to sell this place and buy something older. As soon as it's mine, I will be taking my probe for a walk in the back yard. ~Jim

Wheelah23

Reaction score
My house is 1922. No privy... [:(] Although there is technically a dump here. My street was leveled off with the rest of the town by filling it in with excess sandstone from what used to be a quarry down the street, and also a bunch of industrial garbage from demolished buildings. Can't dig down further'n' a foot around here without hitting bricks! If there was anywhere I'd want to be a bottle, it's not here...

carobran

Reaction score
my great aunt still had an outhouse into the 70s[8|][;)]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
my house is 1790s, never found any of the privys. Farmhouses with rocky soil are a tough nut.

RedGinger

Reaction score
You can do it, Gunth! I've really enjoyed seeing the stuff you find at your house. Please post some more finds!

glass man

Reaction score
Never dug ours...was saving it since I felt I could dig it any time..waited too long and now not able..it could be 1900 up or 1840s up...This is the oldest part of town with the first white person buried right down the street 1832..another house could have easily been here before this one...JAMIE

suzanne

Reaction score
Is a privy like an outhouse? This place had no plumbing or septic till 1962.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn