***HAWAII DIGS 03/15/10***

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

808 50th State

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,
After 2 weeks of not digging the jonzzzzzes was just too much for me LOL...I decided to do a early evening dig, just before sunset I went to my favorite spot and checked the area out... I went back to the same hole that has been producing for me...Of course the hole was bombed and undermined by some other digger...I used my heavy duty bar that we call a O'o in Hawaii to bust the top down, almost like busting through cement...It took a while but I finally busted down the over hang...Then next it was shoveling all that dirt out and finally hitting the bottom layer of hard iron...It can get discouraging when you hit this layer but between these hard layers are small pockets of bottles...It's really hard on the hands trying to probe hard iron, I use my iron bar to smash the iron, gotta be real careful because you can crush the bottles that are hiding behind the iron layers...Anybody ever did this kind of digging know what I am talking about...well anyway the first bottle I dug was a pretty hard to find Hawaiian Medicine Bottle: HOBRON DRUG CO. HONOLULU then a 8-sided ARCTIC SODA WORKS HONOLULU...Aloha Earl

BB8F27322444400C8D43C3B7848AA139.jpg

Attachments

• BB8F27322444400C8D43C3B7848AA139.jpg
    BB8F27322444400C8D43C3B7848AA139.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 36

Lordbud

Reaction score
The Hobron Drug is "da kine". Pretty rare bottle from what little I know about Hawaiian bottles...

madman

Reaction score
hey earl,. nice finds bro! man and i thought digging through a clay cap was tough, thanks for sharing !

rockbot

Reaction score
Howzit Earl, looks like you're at it again and doing quite well. That HOBRON DRUG is another hard one. You could get some serious cash for that.[:D]
The ARCTIC is pretty damn good too. If thats all I found I would be in Bottle heaven! lol
If you ever get another one of those HOBRON's keep me in mind.

Aloha, Rocky

808 50th State

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,
Thanks for the nice comments...This particular site I been digging since November has but out a lot of good bottles from the 1880's-1900's...I found my share of pottery, bottles and other misc. items, digging is very hard, the cap layer is hard compact fill, just breaking through it takes a lot of work and effort...Almost like cement...The lower layer is hard iron, below that is clay and water, the hard part of the digging is probing the hard iron which is very hard on the hands and shoulders...I use my heavy iron bar to break some of the rust, then I use my probe, whenever I hit hard iron it's back to the iron bar again then back to probing, going back and forth gets tiresome and you get reluctant with the hard iron, gotta be careful when using the heavy bar, between these hard iron are pockets of bottles, what is amazing seeing is a whole bottle fussed together in the rust, it's take sometime to chisel the bottle out.

Uploaded a picture of the hard iron layer.

DA11DDFCD85347AB968E61CEBF61895E.jpg

Attachments

• DA11DDFCD85347AB968E61CEBF61895E.jpg
    DA11DDFCD85347AB968E61CEBF61895E.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 35

logueb

Reaction score
Great Finds Earl. Love the Soda. Somehow the words "Artic" and "Honolulu" just don't seem to go together in my mind. I picture Hawaii as always a warm place. Has it ever snowed in Hawaii?[:D] I know about the iron layer. Where I'm digging, diggers dug the area like crazy in the 60s and 70s. They didn't do a complete dig though and never broke through the iron layer. I now know why. Even in the driest parts of the summer, water is trapped below this area. My dig hole has over a foot of mud and I'm afraid I might miss those older bottles under the iron layer. And yes, I have punched through the iron layer and through a bottle lying underneath. Tough digging. Keep up the good work.Buster.

808 50th State

Reaction score
Buster,
Yes it does snow in Hawaii...During the months of December and January the high elevation of Mauna Kea on the Big Island where the Hawaii Observatory is located snows every winter and also on the island of Maui Haleakala Crater snows once in a while...Believe it or not one winter when I was on the Big Island my friends and I went to the summit of Mauna Kea, checked out the snow and later that afternoon was at Hapuna Beach swimming...Only in Hawaii.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776