Heard's Magic Mixture

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Last year i came upon a bottle embossed with Heard's American Embrocation. Over the years I have collected quite a few veterinary embrocation bottles...almost all have been British. I was not sure if this was a British bottle or American as I have embrocations claiming to be from various locations and all British. After some research I found that this was actually American... a Dr. J.M.Heard MRCVS in New York City. The MRCVS is the British version of our DVM. I was able to find a booklet he published online giving veterinary advise, such as using his medicines. This is the first Heard veterinary medicine I have seen. Then a few months later I found Heard's Magic Mixture. According to his booklet this one, though in a similar bottle, was for internal use. In his book it is sometimes called Heard's Magic Colic Mixture. I am sure it was Magic as most of the early colic meds contained opium. Now I need to be on the lookout for more Heard's medicines as he mentions an Eye Lotion and a Healing Lotion.
IMG_6410 (3).JPG

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Great bottle! That's the type I bet looked super cool when it contained its original product 150 years ago

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2