Hello all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hed11877

Reaction score
I'm new to bottle hunting and I recently found an old dump site. I 'm pretty sure its mostley stuff after 1900 but who knows, I went and scratched the surface from an hour and found these bottles at less than 1 foot deep.
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=01010015mu8.jpg

My main question is what bottles from the early to mid 1900's are worth the most?

diggerjeff

Reaction score
those bottles appear to be 1940's -1950's. i really like the ace of spades !the weird shaped brown one might be a little older. not many newer bottles have much collective value. welcome to the forum !! try digging deeper in that dump , the older stuff is at the bottom!!!

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
hi i say maybe as early as the 30s being as some are cork tops the ace of spades and the ink are probably the most interesting and valuable although they arent going to break the bank. what is the name on the ink?

hed11877

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply, the ink one says watermans ink. I'm not looking to get rich but then again I dont want to dig for nothing. The place I'm digging looks like it may have been used as a dump from an incinerator of some sorts. There is mostly ash around the bottles. The good thing is the area covers almost 3 acres. Another promising thing is there are 3 large holes approx 5'x5' and 4 feet deep that look like they were dug years ago. There is broken glass everywhere and shells. I just picked a random spot and started digging for these. I'll go back and pick through the broken stuff to try and date the broken glass and I'll post pictures.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
well if your going to do that then you want to look for tops bottoms and almost whole bottles post pictures here and someone will identify them and date them for you if i have anything for you ill be sure to let you know

logueb

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Hed, Just because a dump has been dug in the past doesn't mean that all the good stuff is gone. All of the dumps that I dig show signs of where others dug in the past. Sometimes these diggers went shallow and never reached the bottom, good layers. When you dig your starter hole, make sure you go to the bare earth beneath the dump. even if it's 12 feet deep! The stuff on the bottom layer will give you a good indication of when the dump was started. Good Luck on your dig.

hed11877

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlenutboy

well if your going to do that then you want to look for tops bottoms and almost whole bottles post pictures here and someone will identify them and date them for you if i have anything for you ill be sure to let you know

Thanks, the temps dropped to 13 degrees today and were supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow. As soon as we thaw i'll get the picks, thanks for all the great advice

#1twin

Reaction score
Hed, I recently dug one like the Ace of Spades shoe polish bottle. It's a neat one even if it is a screw top. Didn't know if you knew what it was or not? Thanks, Marvin

bottlebabe07

Reaction score
Those are the perfect age for a good milk bottle dump.I love milk and soda dumps.They are a great way to find lots of local bottles what part of the country are you from?

madman

Reaction score
sounds like its time to do some serious digging!! dig deep happy hunting mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL