Help identifying an old bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Peter Boyd

Reaction score
I found this bottle in Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia last week. It is dark green glass and about 12" tall. it looks like it is hand blown ( no seams ). Does any one know the approx age and what would have been in it, also there is a cork inside, is there a trick to remove it with out breaking the bottle? Thanks !
20220210_070415.jpg
20220210_070335-jpg.234732
20220210_071630.jpg
20220210_070335.jpg
20220210_070604.jpg
-

Attachments

• 20220210_070335.jpg
    20220210_070335.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 20220210_070515.jpg
    20220210_070515.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 84

willong

Reaction score
It is a hand made, turn-mold (after being blown into the mold, the still pliable bottle was rotated to wipe out the mold seam marks and produce a polished finish to the glass) liquor bottle with an applied collar lip. Typically, that general shape and lip type were found on wine and champagne bottles. However, your bottle is a somewhat curious example. The neck looks disproportionately long from those found on typical wine bottles. Also, I do not see a kicked-up base in your photos--a clear photo focused straight onto the base of the bottle always helps with identifying antique bottles--such as is usually found on wine bottles.

As other members contribute their insights, I would not be surprised if you learn that your bottle held brandy, rum or some other distilled spirit rather than wine.

Manufacture date would be about 1890, plus or minus decades depending upon country of origin.

Removing the cork can be a challenge. I'm not personally aware of any easy method. Inverting the bottle, grasping the cork with tweezers, small needle-nose pliers or a hemostat, and then carving it away bit-by-bit with a scalpel or Xacto knife has been my method in the past.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's an unusual one, never seen one in that shape before. The top suggests to me that it held something under pressure, but I'm not certain on that.

Peter Boyd

Reaction score
It is a hand made, turn-mold (after being blown into the mold, the still pliable bottle was rotated to wipe out the mold seam marks and produce a polished finish to the glass) liquor bottle with an applied collar lip. Typically, that general shape and lip type were found on wine and champagne bottles. However, your bottle is a somewhat curious example. The neck looks disproportionately long from those found on typical wine bottles. Also, I do not see a kicked-up base in your photos--a clear photo focused straight onto the base of the bottle always helps with identifying antique bottles--such as is usually found on wine bottles.

As other members contribute their insights, I would not be surprised if you learn that your bottle held brandy, rum or some other distilled spirit rather than wine.

Manufacture date would be about 1890, plus or minus decades depending upon country of origin.

Removing the cork can be a challenge. I'm not personally aware of any easy method. Inverting the bottle, grasping the cork with tweezers, small needle-nose pliers or a hemostat, and then carving it away bit-by-bit with a scalpel or Xacto knife has been my method in the past.
The neck does seem longer than normal, that's what caught my eye, here is a picture of the base

Attachments

• 20220210_152552.jpg
    20220210_152552.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 84

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Interesting bottle. I'd guess it's a late Dutch not-quite-a-reproduction . . . a "reflection," perhaps, of an earlier style like a Constantia Wine long-neck bottle.

Laundry bleach will dissolve the cork without affecting the glass.

longnecktrio.JPG

willong

Reaction score
Interesting bottle. I'd guess it's a late Dutch not-quite-a-reproduction . . . a "reflection," perhaps, of an earlier style like a Constantia Wine long-neck bottle.

Laundry bleach will dissolve the cork without affecting the glass.
Harry,

With that flat bottom, not having any kick-up at all, do you feel it was almost certainly still a wine container and not at all likely that the bottle held some distilled liquor or cordial? I understand that the punt served several purposes in early bottles, including the one of increased area for sediment deposition for which kick-ups are still retained in wine bottles today, at least for those varieties that benefit from aging in the bottle.

Good to know that there is a simple chemical solution to removing corks. How long does a cork have to soak typically?

Will

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2