Help Identifying English(?)/Dutch(?) Onion serving bottles with handles???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

theaddams

Reaction score
Hi - I these bottles and many other older (an old Dutch Onion) and couple I haven't remotely identified yet at a local estate sale. The gentleman had hundreds of amazing bottles and the family literally knew nothing about them and just threw them into groups. I have been having a terrible time identifying this one and a couple more that I have that are like it...different sizes and shapes due to the fact that were each hand crafted but all obviously similar. Someone said they thought might my be early ink bottles, and another fellow swore he thought they were serving bottles or small wine decanters. I have talked to so many people and many ask to buy them but they say they don't know what they are. Can anyone here help.
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
The first one is very squat and measures 2 7/8" tall and 4" wide
The second is 4 1/2" and 4 1/2" wide (including the handle in the width measurement)...
I am new and it only took one picture..will try to add more...sorry

9E632332EB9A413AAB3BAFE1012A1CD5.jpg

Attachments

• 9E632332EB9A413AAB3BAFE1012A1CD5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 72

ScottBSA

Reaction score
I am only guessing here, based on my known Mexican glass pieces. My Mexican glass is all pontiled and full of bubbles and blue. These look similar to my MG only brown. Hope I'm wrong.

Scott

bostaurus

Reaction score
I am not sure a good glass house would have let that handle out of the door. Not a very English color either...though I have seen a few late 1800's early 1900's ale bottles close to that color.

JohnN

Reaction score
So I'm not the only one thinking this is newer glass. Maybe I am getting better at this "identifying" thing.

sunrunner

Reaction score
this is not a duch or english bottle.it is a poor atemped,to try to make a cruit or something.Itis not real old,and worth very little.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Kim,

Welcome to the Blue Pages and thanks for showing us this mysterious looking bottle.

Elsewhere you said:

"All of the bottles in this estate were very old, and exceptional. The heirs just had no idea what they had. One fellow got a box with two old Dutch Onion Bottles, some cobalt blue cathedral type ink bottles, Cobalt Poisons, and other gin and bitters bottles. It was incredible. "

This is an exceptional looking something or other, but it's not a Dutch or English Onion of the 18th or 19th Century. Please show us some more photos in some discernible order. Closeups of the bases and lips, and that bizarre handle would all be helpful.

I fear that unless you have another "Onion" up your sleeve, you've come away with some modern vessels. I see no patina of age, nor evidence of use as a serving vessel. The finish on this one and that handle would seem to add a degree of difficulty not commonly seen on period bottles or jugs. I've said nothing about the color, or form really, but they are not period, either.

I'm thinking a Guadalajaran Donut, with a Horse Head handle. [8D]

JohnN

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Maybe.. or maybe I still suck.. [8D]
Looks like there is a lot of agreement that it is not old. Maybe we are not that bad at this "identifying" thing, after all.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen