Help me identify this bottle that I found in the desert!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was out in the desert...searching for bottles yet again.

I just happened to come across this little guy:
bottle11watermark.jpg

bottle10watermark.jpg

As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was special. The fact that the cork was still in it I found quite intriguing.

Here is what I can tell you about the bottle:

- It has mold seams extending over the lip
- It has bubbles in the glass
- It has swirls in the glass
- It is a 10-sided bottle
- The design tappers down towards the bottom
- The only markings on the bottle are a "[P//C]" and the number "2" on the very bottom of two of the sides
- There are no markings of any kind on the bottom of the bottle
- The metal pull ring has some faint letters or numbers on the top edge of it. I can't make them out until I get around to locating a magnifying glass.

When I went to clean the bottle, there was still some "soda" in the bottom. Even after an overnight soak in cleaner, it still had about the consistency of chewed up chewing gum, and it took me almost 2 hours to get it out of the bottle.

One last thing: can anyone tell me exactly what type of top this bottle has? I have never seen anything like it before (online or elsewhere)

If you are a "resident expert", than by all means, please speak up!

bottle1watermark.jpg

bottle2watermark.jpg

bottle3watermark.jpg

bottle4watermark.jpg

bottle7watermark.jpg

bottle5watermark.jpg

bottle6watermark.jpg

bottle8watermark.jpg

bottle9watermark.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I don't know but thats as attractive as a clear glass bottle gets with no embossing or labels, I await the experts....Jim

I did find this on your maker,,,

P/C in duo-segmented parallelogram..........Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). This mark was introduced in 1919, and used on ware until about 1930.

glass man

Reaction score
Can't tell you any thing much bout the bottle..but the pics of you in the desert blow me away!!

Depending on how tall it is I would say it is a Whiskey type bottle or beer instead of a soda...

Did you find it on it on top of the ground?Wonder if any more bottles around where you found it...It is machine made of course and if found on top of ground in the desert..it would be very purple from the sun..if old enough to have the properties in it that would turn it purple in the sun..so 1920 or so..

.Little embossing..so not a lot of value..though if pacific glass works as Jim thinks and very well may be right..helps it some..

AGAIN the thing that I love is the pic. of the desert!Are you on an old wgon road in the first pic?Kinda looks like it..Any way thanks for posting!~Hope to get back to the desert some day...Of course last time I was there I was 3 years old coming back to GA. from CAl..after living on the beach..the IMPERIAL BEACH for 3 years...JAMIE

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

I don't know but thats as attractive as a clear glass bottle gets with no embossing or labels, I await the experts....Jim

I did find this on your maker,,,

P/C in duo-segmented parallelogram..........Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). This mark was introduced in 1919, and used on ware until about 1930.

Thank you for the info, epackage. After seeing that it was a machine made bottle, my first guess is that it dated from the 1910-20 timeframe. I just can't get over how good of condition it is in. It's just been laying out there for almost 100 years, and nobody picked it up and shot it to bits. (I found it very near a road)

I know, it is quite an attractive bottle, and it is now on my "shelf of honor" in my bedroom. Since my bottle-hunting career began in June of 2010, I have only found 5 worthy and complete soda bottles while searching out in the wilds, so the "shelf of honor" isn't very crowded. :)

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

Can't tell you any thing much bout the bottle..but the pics of you in the desert blow me away!!

Thank you glass man. I will be posting a thread soon about the desert trip on which I found this bottle.

In the meantime, you can feast your eyes on my last desert/picture thread - HERE - (in case you missed it):

ORIGINAL: glass man

Depending on how tall it is I would say it is a Whiskey type bottle or beer instead of a soda...

It isn't too terribly tall. Tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of it with a measuring stick next to it.

ORIGINAL:

Did you find it on it on top of the ground?

Yes. That is how I find all of my bottles.

Here is how I found it. That's easy to see, right? You wouldn't just walk right past that, right? I got lucky, right?
bottlefind3watermark.jpg

Alright, I'll zoom in on that a bit:
bottlefind2watermark.jpg

It was so sweet finding this thing...like I said earlier, I knew right away that it was both old and special:
bottlefind1watermark.jpg

bottlefind4watermark.jpg

bottlefind6watermark.jpg

bottlesidewayswatermark.jpg

ORIGINAL:Wonder if any more bottles around where you found it...

I am sure that there are, but they are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN, trust me! You have to go into fairly remote areas, you have to have eagle eyes, and you have to get lucky. Since June of 2010, I have covered countless miles of territory and have only found 5 bottles. The truth is, you can walk right past a bottle and not even know that it is there. Most of the bottles that I have ever come across are shot to bits.

My wife was also searching with me (as she usually is), so we have two sets of eyes. I searched for about 2 hours before I found that bottle. She went back to the car after about an hour. I continued on. (all the while in gale-force winds and temperatures in the teens and 20's) After a while, I got down on bended knee like Tim Tebow and asked my Creator to deliver me a bottle if it be his will (I'm not joking here). About 15 mins later, I had given up and was walking back to the car, when I passed right by the bottle and froze in my tracks. Yes! Prayer answered!

ORIGINAL:It is machine made of course and if found on top of ground in the desert..it would be very purple from the sun..if old enough to have the properties in it that would turn it purple in the sun..so 1920 or so..

Well, thanks to epackage, we can be pretty sure that the bottle was made sometime between 1919 and 1930.

If it was going to turn purple, it had more than enough time:
glass8.jpg

ORIGINAL:

Little embossing..so not a lot of value..though if pacific glass works as Jim thinks and very well may be right..helps it some..

It is invaluable to me!

ORIGINAL:AGAIN the thing that I love is the pic. of the desert!

I am pleased that you liked it so much. Again, be sure to check out my desert thread referenced above.

ORIGINAL:

Are you on an old wgon road in the first pic?Kinda looks like it..Any way thanks for posting!~Hope to get back to the desert some day...

No, I am some tens of miles east of Lone Pine.

Nothing can beat our high deserts here. They cleanse the soul.

ORIGINAL: Of course last time I was there I was 3 years old coming back to GA. from CAl..after living on the beach..the IMPERIAL BEACH for 3 years...JAMIE

I am spoiled, that's for sure.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I am 99% sure it is a catsup or some type of food sauce.
I was stationed in Nevadastan back in the late 70's, lots of high desert there to explore, as well.
The best part of the desert, to me (overseas or home) is the very early, crack of dawn.
Bill

surfaceone

Reaction score

Hi'ya Kid,

Another excellent photo journey, sir. Thanks for taking us along. Without knowing the capacity of your bottle, I'm in the Catsup / sauce camp, myself.

obearnestercatsup1922.jpg
From.

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: druggistnut

I was stationed in Nevadastan back in the late 70's, lots of high desert there to explore, as well.
The best part of the desert, to me (overseas or home) is the very early, crack of dawn.
Bill

Bill -

Thank you for the response.

You are right...there is nothing quite like the high desert. It really is one of my favorite places on planet earth. As an aside, the places that I have been going to recently are actually fairly similar to Nevada, becuase they are inside the Great Basin boundary as well. You are right about dawn in the desert - it is a fantastic feeling, and I am always thrilled to get an early start on the day.

Here, I will share this series of pictures that I took of a wonderful desert "dawn and sunrise" back in September of 2006:

DSC04469watermark.jpg

DSC04474watermark.jpg

DSC04483watermark.jpg

DSC04482watermark.jpg

DSC04487watermark.jpg

DSC04489watermark.jpg

DSC04494watermark.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members