Help on Dating an Amber 7up Squat

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bad3555

Reaction score
Could I please get some help from our knowledgeable collectors? I have a Houston Texas bottle I thought was 1936, but now I'm wondering if it's an 1946. I didn't think they made them that late, but it has a 6 plus the dot for a Owens Illinois date code. I always thought the dot meant 40's, what do you guys think?
DSCN0499.JPG
DSCN0497.JPG
1.jpg
2.jpg
Best.JPG

Last edited:

Bad3555

Reaction score
Found this PDF (From an article Nov-Dec 2004 The Soda Fizz) From the chart below it shows my bottle was only made 1 year as an ACL in Houston.
I really think my bottle is a 36, but just don't understand the dot!

---------------------------------------

1.jpg
Amber 7up Bottles.jpg

Attachments

• SevenUp_CMunseyRFowler.pdf
    471.4 KB · Views: 109

Bad3555

Reaction score
More Info

-----------------------------

-----------------------

OI (1).jpg

DavidW

Reaction score
This is on a bit of a tangent (not directly relating to the Seven up amber bottle), but, just a note to pass along: That webpage reference above (from productmanufacturers.blogspot.com) contains at least some misinformation. Read with caution. The reason why I say that is because the line that reads: " If the manufacturer's mark found on the base of the bottle is the diamond IO mark (see Figure 2), then the bottle was produced pre-1954." is not entirely true.

Quite a few Owens-Illinois bottles with the "Diamond and oval and I" mark were actually made after 1954, because it was over a period of several years before all of the molds in use at the factories were re-tooled. The date code has to be taken into account along with the trademark.

The latest bottle with the "old" Owens-Illinois mark (that I've heard of) actually dates from 1966!!! 12 years after the "new mark" was introduced in 1954.

If a particular bottle mold at the factory was rarely used and sat on a shelf for years before a new order was produced, it may have not been a high priority to retool the trademark. Molds that saw a lot of heavy use were probably re-tooled sooner.

Bad3555

Reaction score
This is on a bit of a tangent (not directly relating to the Seven up amber bottle), but, just a note to pass along: That webpage reference above (from productmanufacturers.blogspot.com) contains at least some misinformation. Read with caution. The reason why I say that is because the line that reads: " If the manufacturer's mark found on the base of the bottle is the diamond IO mark (see Figure 2), then the bottle was produced pre-1954." is not entirely true.

Quite a few Owens-Illinois bottles with the "Diamond and oval and I" mark were actually made after 1954, because it was over a period of several years before all of the molds in use at the factories were re-tooled. The date code has to be taken into account along with the trademark.

The latest bottle with the "old" Owens-Illinois mark (that I've heard of) actually dates from 1966!!! 12 years after the "new mark" was introduced in 1954.

If a particular bottle mold at the factory was rarely used and sat on a shelf for years before a new order was produced, it may have not been a high priority to retool the trademark. Molds that saw a lot of heavy use were probably re-tooled sooner.
Thank you, I absolutely know in our line of work there are hardly any hard and fast rules, only guidelines. I do love finding the ones that don't seem to be the norm! Thank you my friend for reminding us that just because it's stated as fact, doesn't mean there are not exceptions or that the information just may not be completely factual! 1966 Wow! Good Info!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Yes, a 1946 amber squat bottle. In all my 7up collecting, I started to make my own list of the yrs of the 8 bubble bottles using all the available info and lists like the one you posted and found a bunch of later dates on the 8 bubbles. Great find!

Last edited:

Bad3555

Reaction score
Yes, a 1946 amber squat bottle. In all my 7up collecting, I started to make my own list of the yrs of the 8 bubble bottles using all the available info and lists like the one you posted and found a bunch of later dates on the 8 bubbles. Great find!
Wow, so your thinking it's a 1946? Do you know how many 40's they made? I mean time period wise? Thanks so much iggy! Man now I'm really confused!

shadeone

Reaction score
iggyworf, do you have record of any 8bubble bottles past 1946? An old thread on here tried to determine the latest production of them and I believe someone found a 1945 green 7oz bottle but that was the latest as of then.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229