Help with Porcelain Insulator ID, Green Mark Underglaze, M W, and a bird (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

harryr1961

Reaction score
[attachment=DSC00692.JPG] This is the second one of these I have found in my storage unit, from other digs. Any help identifying it would be appreciated. I think the mark is a bird, and M W, but not sure of the bird part. Help a digger out!

Attachments

• eef2329c8b214d32ac18a6b5cdd150e2.jpg
    eef2329c8b214d32ac18a6b5cdd150e2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 109

BillinMo

Reaction score
As you'll see on the page Jim linked, this is a wiring knob, commonly used in wiring buildings in the 1890-1930 period, and their use declined dramatically as building codes began demanding insulated conduit. Literally hundreds of companies made these type of knobs, with lots of fascinating history. I looked through Jack Tod's Electrical Porcelain book and I didn't find anything that seemed to match the marking on yours, but the book is very old (1970s) and Jack passed away quite a few years ago. I echo Jim's suggestion you get in touch with Elton. He's the expert on this kind of thing. Even with the history behind them, though, there are very few active collectors of this type of insulator. Most are interested in pin types used on poles for telephone, telegraph and power distribution.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
HI all, We owned an old hotel here in Sarasota FL and it was wired with what they called knob and tubing. The hot and ground wires went through the tubes that were in the two by fours. I some stretched too far these little carriers did their thing, holding the wire in line. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28