Henry Cramer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Hmm, that's different! Base is much darker blue. It sure beats, finding an unembossed one , a Bromo or the dreaded Milk of Mag. cobalt blues! Good find.

greenacres

Reaction score
Thanks Leon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

greenacres

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Bromos, but they say Bromo. Did he bottle this himself?

greenacres

Reaction score
Thank you, Jim. What does mean if it's not in the book?

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't want to cause waves but I believe there is some confusion here. What I believe creekwalker was / is saying is that your find sure beats finding something so very common, such as a Bromo-Seltzer, Milk of Magnesia or unembossed cobalt blue bottle. At this point no one has appeared who knows anything about this Henry Cramer or what your bottle contained and it does not appear in Matt Knapp's book: ANTIQUE AMERICAN MEDICINE BOTTLES, the go to book, for many of us, to research Patent type medicine bottles. Matt also has an online site called a "Nexus" or something but I'm somewhat technically impaired.

Did I clear anything up or muddy the waters? Jim

greenacres

Reaction score
I contacted Matt. He has never seen this bottle before. He said it's very uncommon. They made very few cobalt blue pharmaceuticals. He dated it 1870's to 1890's. This would correlate with the info I found. Thanks Jim for the explanation. It went over my head, lol.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I only find some pieces on the puzzle for that address, mostly between 1855 and 1870. That and he died in 1905. I don't know if that was him that bought the house and they only suggest it was.

Charles Theodore George received his education in the public schools .... He served an apprenticeship at the profession of pharmacy with NIartin Lutz, remaining in the drug store conducted by him for eighteen months. In 1861 he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, entered the pharmacy of Henry Cramer at No. 320 Race street and continued with him until 1869. FROM

A number of other pharmacies and drug houses were in existence in 1852 or before, among which may be mentioned that of Mordecai Gordon, a drug miller, whose store was on Market street near Ninth; the well-known house of David Jayne, Chestnut street below Third; Dr. Thomas W. Dyott of Second and Race streets, who came to grief financially through his well-known Manual Labor Bank, which was coll" ducted on the co-operative plan for the benefit of the employ: ees of his glass factory; William Marriott, of Thirteenth and Filbert streets, who was an apprentice in the old Marshall store; Jacob Dunton, of Market and Tenth streets, who was the first manufacturer of compressed pills; the Shiver's Pha" macy, at Seventh and Spruce streets, where Mr. Shivers made his celebrated adhesive plaster for many years; the store of F. L. John, 118 Race street, who was succeeded by H. Crame: of 320 Race street, the firm afterward passing through the following changes: Cramer & Small, Cramer & Keim, Eisner & Mendelsohn, and Graf & Dannenbaum;... FROM

Cramer Henry, druggist, 118 Race
JOHN FREDERICK L, druggist, 118 Race, h 58 New FROM 1855

IMAGE FROM 1861 directory
cramer 1861.jpg

A little something on Race St.

Last edited:

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Henry Cramer, of Germantown, who died on July 28, 1905, became a member of the college in 1866. He was of German birth and was not a graduate of the college. For a number of years he was a member of the firm of Cramer & Small, at 320 Race Street. He was much interested in the work of the college and sent a communication to the Procter Memorial meeting, held November 15, 1905, which was a beautiful tribute to Professor Procter. FROM

ALEXANDER M. SMALL, M.D., a prominent physician of Riverside, in Cinnnaminson township, Burlington County, N.J., is a native of the city of Philadelphia, Pa., where he was born September 19, 1860. He is of German ancestry, his father, Edward Small, being a native of Germany, and his mother, Josephine Schneff Small, being also of German extraction.
Edward Small migrated to America in 1852, and took his way immediately to Philadelphia, Pa., where he entered on an American career as a druggist at 1115 North Third Street. A few years subsequently he formed a partnership with a Mr. Cramer; and they engaged in the drug business at 320 Race Street, Philadelphia, under the firm style of Cramer & Small. That mercantile association continued to exist until 1880, when Mr. Small retired from active business life. Both he and his wife still survive to enjoy the results of their labors. FROM
http://genealogytrails.com/njer/burlington/bios.html

IMAGE FROM 1889

graf.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen