Here We Go Again or "the Bodie Factor"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Great Photos onekick!

I've been there once in the late 1980's and it was very cool to experience that place in the middle of nowhere.

Most of all those buildings were redone after it became a park as mentioned on their website:
Bodie suffered two devastating fires in 1892 and 1932 that together destroyed over 90% of the buildings. A few residents stayed until the 1940s after which the site lay abandoned for 20 years until the creation of the state park in 1962.

There was digging done there between the dormant years because I have an old bottle book that has photos of bottles dug from there. I'll post a picture of the book:

Blumenstein, Lynn: Old Time Bottles Found in Ghost Towns, 1966. Old Time Bottle Publishing Co., Salem OR

I don't have this book anymore as I lent it to someone and have never seen it since[:mad:]

Doug

7CD8077646DB4E23A3C2AC2D6AF3C53A.jpg

Attachments

• 7CD8077646DB4E23A3C2AC2D6AF3C53A.jpg
    7CD8077646DB4E23A3C2AC2D6AF3C53A.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 95

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
My first trip to Bodie was in '59. I was 14 yrs old and didn't really have a clue about digging privys, but we did check out the dump and picked up a bunch of plaino mineral waters. I never noticed a Bodie med, if there was one. We have returned to Bodie on several occasions and have been "tossed" for probing privy pits that have the rotted posts showing at ground level. They are LOADED with glass, but of undetermined age. In my estimation, you could dig several dozen pits without any negative effect on the buildings and zero damage to standing structures. Most early homes are long burned, and the vacant sites are weed and brush covered lots. In a few months, the evidence of an properly cleaned up dig would be long gone. The State, of course, doesn't see it that way.

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Dabeel

Blumenstein, Lynn: Old Time Bottles Found in Ghost Towns, 1966. Old Time Bottle Publishing Co., Salem OR

My very first bottle book. I still have it!

ktbi

Reaction score
Thanks for the leads on the book(s). He has three of them and I just ordered all three from Amazon. $20 total. Doug and Ernest - thanks for the history. I'll keep that information in my bottle database and keep an eye out for the Seattle version. It's really a shame digging is not permitted, not even a dig supervised/monitored by State Park authorities. Hate to sound cynical, but anything found would probably end up "lost" and quietly found in the personal collection of a park supervisor somewhere. I'd dig it in a heartbeat if I knew it was going to a museum. Ron

ktbi

Reaction score
Another Bodie bottle in the current American Bottle Auction catalog. Minimum bid of $800 but it will go for much more than that.....I haven't seen this one before....Ron

PEARSON BROS. BODIE (304) The Pearson Bros. started out in 1882 and lasted until 1890’s. These rare gravitating stopper type bottles are one of the first made for a California concern. The base has the Patent date of Oct. 11, 1864 although the bottle is certainly not nearly that old. Applied top hutch style sodas are tough to find anywhere but the fact that this was made in Bodie is quite something. Apparently the brothers were able to create a water system which delivered water from Rough Creek into their own stone reservoir. Nice greenish aqua, more green than aqua. Grade: Very light haze with almost no wear. Super condition. Grade 9.2.

B1A7F8068E104E4FB757794649E18F66.jpg

Attachments

• B1A7F8068E104E4FB757794649E18F66.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 87

glass man

Reaction score
IT IS A SHAME THE BOTTLES,RELICS ARE NOT DUG UP AND PUT IN A MUSEUM ON THE PLACE,LIKE KTBI SAID.

Wilkie

Reaction score
I wonder if these are the same Pearson Bros. from Placerville. I bet they are.
ORIGINAL: ktbi

Another Bodie bottle in the current American Bottle Auction catalog.  Minimum bid of $800 but it will go for much more than that.....I haven't seen this one before....Ron

PEARSON BROS. BODIE (304) The Pearson Bros. started out in 1882 and lasted until 1890’s. These rare gravitating stopper type bottles are one of the first made for a California concern. The base has the Patent date of Oct. 11, 1864 although the bottle is certainly not nearly that old. Applied top hutch style sodas are tough to find anywhere but the fact that this was made in Bodie is quite something. Apparently the brothers were able to create a water system which delivered water from Rough Creek into their own stone reservoir. Nice greenish aqua, more green than aqua. Grade: Very light haze with almost no wear. Super condition. Grade 9.2.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman