Here's an amazing find, what is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Katr

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to ID this bottle. It is blown molded, and I believe the lip is applied. The pontil is smooth ground, kind of like a donut pontil. Bottom is scratch signed, not sure if color is amethyst or sun-purple, not sure which.

Side View ~ TOP ~ Bottom ~ Etched Close-up

Thanks in advance for any help!!
~Kat

Attachments

• Nl28303.jpg
    Nl28303.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 79

Oldtimer

Reaction score
It isn't pontiled. I think its an art glass studio type thing...doesn't seem that old to me..doesn't seem sun colored to me...hope I'm wrong on all this though :)

Katr

Reaction score
Yes, the pontil has been finely ground and impressed, causing the inside bottom to be concave. The bottle is definitely older than newer, I know it is difficult to tell by just photos. My first inclinition is the same as yours as far as the sun purpling goes. Seems like a more honest amethyst. The italian look of the signature does seem rather artsy. Thanks for the help. Hope we can discover the origin!
Kat

Katr

Reaction score
Though having a signature certainly doesn't lend toward consumer goods of any significant production, I had wondered if the green lip could be functional? Perhaps identifying a certain type of chemical or medicine? Just some food for thought. I don't know anything about bottles, but I do know a little about glass, and this is a very interesting piece to me, and I cannot find anything out through other channels I have tried. Anyone who can help would be appreciated and gets a very heartfelt wahoo from sunny(yeah right!) Cleveland!
Kat :)

Katr

Reaction score
This bottle stands 5" high and is 2 1/2" slant across bottom. This glass is very irridescent. Seems to be the right size for a master ink, but I know very little. Six sided makes it hard to tip though. Still the debacle.

Katr

Reaction score
Also, the glass is wavy and pimply, but not rough. there are a few tiny bubbles. I don't know much about open or dip molds other than a description I read of them. That would make this an old bottle, but I am probably coming out of left field on this one. Any thoughts are welcome please.
:)

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Looks like the type of alcohol decanter you see in 18th century boxed travelling sets. It looks like a ground and polished pontil from the photo. Its hard to tell by just a photo. You have to handle an item like this to decide if its really old.

If its really early glass , then it is not sun-colored amethyst. Early clear glass would be flint glass which doesnt turn amethyst.

Katr

Reaction score
Thank you for the help! I can only think to add two more points- the glass is much thinner than I would look for in an ink, and the top 1-1 1/4" of the sides just below shoulder are rounded. There are two seam mold marks traveling up the shoulder toward the lip but don't quite make it, and then there is a circular mold mark that completely encircles bottle just inside the point where the shoulder begins. It is for an inch or so under this circular mold mark where the blowing out of the side panels occur, causing them to bulge out and feel slightly rounded to the touch verses the relative flatness of the rest of the panels. I also detect what may be a nearly imperceptable tong or tool mark on one of the sides near the base.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
I agree with Gunther. When I first saw it, I thought it was a back bar bottle. The shape and look just makes me think that.

Lee

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR