" Hey, I've got some bottles."

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
I get it about the initial complaint because it bothers me, too, on some levels. However, the general public really just thinks one old bottle is the same as the next old bottle. This why I don't get excited when the uninitiated point to the rarest, most expensive bottle on my sales table at a general antique show, and say, "Wow, granny's got a basement full of those!" or "Give me your card and I'll call you because I've several of those old things kicking around!" What really bugs me, though, is when dealers issue forth with a volley of bs just to make themselves look like bigshots. Sometimes I'll hand my card to an antique dealer I don't know and I'll get this kind of reply, "Man, you should have come around a year ago. I had a whole wall of exactly what you collect!" I'm always amazed, in the worst way, that some dealers always seem to have had what you collect. Yeah, right, buddy. Funny thing is, I've never had one of these sorts come through. Coincidence?

mctaggart67

Reaction score
. . . No, I like putting all the old bottles I find on a fence and shooting at them.

Another canard I can't stand. Your reply is a nice counter to such belittling of what we collect.

AMChandler

Reaction score
My husband was supposed to bring me back some bottles from his cousins house this week. He forgot. But he said they looked really old and were really nice! Gee thanks hon!

sandchip

Reaction score
Y'all all sound right to me. Bottles aren't their passion like it is ours, and after they make their remarks and move on, their little minds are off on yet another tangent, and whatever bottles they might have are forgotten again.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Two years here and 17 posts? Is that a question or an admission of some kind.
Sorry, I'm in a real bad mood right now.

"you wouldn't like it when I'm angry"

153A03FC96B742FE95B136AC9C9332D6.jpg

Attachments

• 153A03FC96B742FE95B136AC9C9332D6.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 79

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I hate it when I'm at a yard sale and I ask if there are any old bottles and the reply is something like "Oh we had a lot of really old bottles, great colors, etc. but we sold them all" I always wish they would just say "no sorry" and leave it at that.
That's so true it's not funny, not at all. [:mad:]
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Two years here and 17 posts? Is that a question or an admission of some kind.
Sorry, I'm in a real bad mood right now.
"you wouldn't like it when I'm angry"

Nope, it doesn't happen often but I actually dropped the F-bomb yesterday. Nothing got thrown though. Every 5 or ten years I get real pissy. The explanation is another topic.
I was with Jim at the time of reading this, I thought he was talking about something else, like posters here that do that. "Here's my bottle" and then nothing, not even a thank you.
I could delete myself but that's not my nature.
I do apologize again, it was uncalled for.

Pup55

Reaction score
Reply to this message in 2013"

Just like to take a minute and say sorry for any ill feelings you may have. I've been collecting milk bottles since 1997 and been shot down many times for the bottle, either a good friend had or a milk bottle I wanted or a collecter had and would get back to me later and never did. They will have to live with the outcome in their minds. Enough on that. I know know that this hobby I love so has good outcomes and bad but will not detour me from having every bottle I dream of.and you will complete your dream in time. Yes I do have a bottle you need for your collection and yes I did think about getting rid of it to you. To cut you was not my intition to help you was. In order to get to my goal is to sometimes rethink what was said and what is best for me.to do that may make someone mad. The list you sent was not what I was looking for. I was looking for you to be direct with the bottle you wanted from me in trade for the bottle you have.you had already sent me a list in the mail and told me on the phone what you had and wanted. Being direct and to the point in the emails would of helped you pevail.i hope your heart in the bottles and keep trucking for them bottles you want and need. I know I will and one of these days we will talk about the whole collection. Remember not all people will do,but all people will say taking with a grain of salt. Many bottle days to you god bless

epackage

Reaction score
"Hey, I've got some bottles."

ORIGINAL: Pup55

Just like to take a minute and say sorry for any ill feelings you may have. I've been collecting milk bottles since 1997 and been shot down many times for the bottle, either a good friend had or a milk bottle I wanted or a collecter had and would get back to me later and never did. They will have to live with the outcome in their minds. Enough on that. I know know that this hobby I love so has good outcomes and bad but will not detour me from having every bottle I dream of.and you will complete your dream in time. Yes I do have a bottle you need for your collection and yes I did think about getting rid of it to you. To cut you was not my intition to help you was. In order to get to my goal is to sometimes rethink what was said and what is best for me.to do that may make someone mad. The list you sent was not what I was looking for. I was looking for you to be direct with the bottle you wanted from me in trade for the bottle you have.you had already sent me a list in the mail and told me on the phone what you had and wanted. Being direct and to the point in the emails would of helped you pevail.i hope your heart in the bottles and keep trucking for them bottles you want and need. I know I will and one of these days we will talk about the whole collection. Remember not all people will do,but all people will say taking with a grain of salt. Many bottle days to you god bless
Changing the title of a post is frowned upon because it's almost impossible to to keep track of the OP when that's done...[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229