High Rock Ginger Ale Co bottle question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to numerous sources, the Glenshaw letter codes were first used starting in 1935. If this is true, and the letter codes pertain to seltzer bottles as well as typical soda bottles, then this might explain why BB's seltzer bottle does not have a letter in front of the number 10. In other words, I'm thinking that because High Rock Sparkling Water was introduced in 1934 and the letter codes began in 1935, that BB's seltzer bottle dates to circa 1934-Early 1935

This snippet is cropped from the full page I posted earlier ...

Glenshaw Glass Codes (4).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of the number 10, besides BB's bottle, the following are the only Glenshaw seltzer bottles I was able to find that used the number 10 in any manner, and they are all described as being marked with ...

H-10

And if the letter codes correspond to dates, then the letter H indicates 1936 for all of the following bottles ...

Note: There are other H bottles I will be presenting later, such as H-3 and H-9, but the following are the only H bottles that have the number 10 after the H ...

Notice the first two are etched and last one is an ACL. Also notice that all three bottles are the same shape/style and all of them are green.

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-10 Etched (2).jpg

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-10 Etched Base.jpg

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-10 Etched.jpg

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-10 ACL.jpg

Footnote: Most of the bottles I found do not have pictures of the base and I am relying on the sellers descriptions regarding how they are marked.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This next part is a little tricky but I will do my best to present it in a comprehensive manner. One of the things I have encountered in my search is that some seller's describe the number one as a 1 when it might actually be the letter I. The same is true in the reverse in that some seller's describe it as an I when it might actually be the number 1. But based on the numerous marks I've seen, the post G/1935 marks all start with a letter followed by what appears to be a number such as the last bottles I posted that were all marked with an H followed by a 10 as in H-10. As you will see later, the dash - between the letter and number is consistent with all of the bottles that use letters between G and N. I have not seen a letter that's lower than G or higher than N and no J mark whatsoever on any of the seltzer bottles.

Look close and see if you think the mark on this bottle is 1-1 I-I or I-1. Because of the consistent letter-number marks I've been seeing, I think this particular mark is an I-1

Note: This particular bottle also has the number 1284 on it. That number is undoubtedly a shape/style code because all of the 1284 bottles I've seen are all multi-sided in design just like this one.

Additional Note: The seller described this bottle as being marked 1-1 1284, which I personally believe is marked I-1 1284. Compare the code marks to the number 1 in 1284

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle 1-1 1284 Nehi.jpg

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle 1-1 1284 Nehi Base.jpg

(More to follow)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Now comes the really tricky part and my ability to post the following 20+ Glenshaw seltzer bottles in their proper sequence. They are listed alphabetically according to their letter-code starting with G. Based on what I have learned about Glenshaw bottles and their various marks, I am confident the letter-codes represent dates, such as those in the attached snippet with G standing for 1935 and N standing for 1942. The latest letter-code I have been able to find for Glenshaw seltzer bottles is the letter N for 1942, but I do not know if that means they stopped making seltzer bottles in 1942 or if it means they discontinued the use of letter-codes in 1942. Determining that would require additional research which I have not looked into, yet.

With the help of other members it is my hope that some type of comprehensive pattern will present itself by studying the following bottles and comparing them one to another. I have studied them myself and have found certain aspects that seem obvious, but I could easily have missed something that others might see. If you do see something that I missed, or have questions, please bring them to out attention.

Please Note:

1. As I said earlier, most of these bottles did not have pictures of the bases and I am relying on the various seller's descriptions as to how they are marked.

2. Many of the bottles are green, with others being clear.

3. Many of the bottles have a secondary number such as 1284, 805, 137, which appears to be a shape/style code, but they do not appear to represent a color.

4. Bottles without secondary numbers doesn't mean they do not have one. It could be the seller just did not mention a secondary number in their description.

(I'll be back soon and start posting some pictures)

SODABOB

Reaction score
Because it took me several hours to compile this list and don't want to lose track of it, I have decided to post it without the accompanying pictures, which I will edit/add to the list later. Plus, I'm not sure how many images I can post at one time, which means I may have to break them up into groups. Anyway, I'll be back soon with some pictures. In the meantime, please familiarize yourself with the list until I return.

G-8 ~ Multi-sided ~ Etched ~ Green ~ (Compare to H-9 1284)

G-12 ~ Standard ~ ACL ~ Clear ~ (All of the G-12 bottles I found are clear)

Base of above G-12 bottle. (No secondary number)

H-3 291 ~ Standard ~ Embossed ~ Clear

H-9 805 ~ Multi-sided ~ Round Shoulder ~ Green

H-9 1284 ~ Multi-sided ~ Flat Shoulder ~ Etched Nehi ~ Green

Base of above H-9 1284 Nehi bottle

Note: All of the 805 bottles I found are multi-sided with a flat shoulder. All of the 1284 bottles I found are multi-sided with a roundish shoulder.

H-10 ~ Standard ~ ACL ~ Green

H-10 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Base of above H-10 Etched bottle (No secondary number)

Note: Because one of the last two bottles is an ACL and one is etched, the H-10 doesn't appear to have anything to do with it being an ACL versus it being an etched bottle.

I-1 1284 ~ Multi-sided ~ Etched Nehi ~ Clear (Compare to H-9 1284 Nehi Green)

J = I have not been able to find a Glenshaw seltzer bottle with a J code on it. Maybe they were made and maybe they weren't. I just don't know. J stands for 1938.

K-2 ~ Standard ~ Embossed ~ Green

K-2 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Base of above K-2 Etched bottle (No secondary number)

Note: Because one of the last two bottles is embossed and one is etched, the K-2 doesn't appear to have anything to do with it being embossed versus it being etched.

K-8 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

K-10 ~ Standard ~ ACL ~ Clear

K-10 ~ Standard ~ Clear ~ (No ACL or Etched label)

L-7 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

L-12 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Base of above L-12 Etched bottle (No secondary number)

M-11 137 ~ Standard ~ Green ~ Etched Coca Cola

Base of above M-11 137 Etched Coca Cola bottle

N-9 137 ~ Standard ~ Etched Coca Cola ~ Clear

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Well, here goes! I hope I don't mess this up and post the wrong picture with the wrong description. I decided to post them in groups and not risk a popup message saying I posted too many images on one page.

Additional Notes:

1. The term "Standard" refers to bottles that are basic in design without multiple sides, and can be in both clear glass as well as in green glass.

2. The terms "Rounded Shoulder" and "Flat Shoulder" pertain to the 805 and 1284 multi-sided bottles and the differences are easily discernible once you study them closely.

3. I found a lot of duplicates for many of these bottles but in most cases I'm just posting one example so as not to complicate it any more than it already is.

4. Please study them closely and see if you find anything I missed that might shed some light on what I consider very confusing bottle marks. Especially if you have or are aware of a Glenshaw seltzer bottle that has a J mark. I'm also looking for bottles like BB's High Rock bottle that has a number on it but no letter in front of the number. I believe those are pre-date-code bottles that date 1934 and earlier.

Reminder for date codes ...

Glenshaw Glass Codes (4).jpg

G-8 ~ Multi-sided ~ Flat Shoulder ~ Etched ~ Green ~ (Compare to H-9 1284 bottle)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle G-8.jpg

G-12 ~ Standard ~ ACL ~ Clear ~ (All of the G-12 bottles I found are clear)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle G-12 ACL (2).jpg

Base of above G-12 bottle. (No secondary number)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle G-12 ACL Base.jpg

H-3 291 ~ Standard ~ Embossed ~ Clear

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-3 291 Embossed.jpg

H-9 805 ~ Multi-sided ~ Round Shoulder ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-9 805 Etched (3).jpg

H-9 1284 ~ Multi-sided ~ Flat Shoulder ~ Etched Nehi ~ Green (Compare to G-8 bottle)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-9 1284 Nehi Etched (3).jpg

Base of above H-9 1284 Nehi bottle

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle H-9 1284 Nehi Etched Base (2).jpg

Note: All of the 805 bottles I found are multi-sided with a roundish shoulder. All of the 1284 bottles I found are multi-sided with a flatish shoulder.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I-11 1284 ~ Multi-sided ~ Etched Nehi ~ Clear (Compare to H-9 1284 Nehi etched green bottle)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle I-11 1284 Nehi Etched.jpg

I-11 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green (This bottle was described as being marked 1-11 which I believe is actually I-11)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle Described as 1-11 which I believe is I-11.jpg

Base of above I-11 bottle.
(No secondary number described or clearly visible. Study closely to see if you think its 1-11 or I-11)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle Described as 1-11 which I believe is I-11 Base.jpg

Note: Because one of the last two bottles is multi-sided and clear and one is standard and green, it appears the I-11 code has nothing to do with its shape or color. Because the Nehi bottle also has 1284, and the other one apparently doesn't, it appears the 1284 is a shape/style code. Additionally, I need to find more bottles with 1's and with I's to try and figure out what is actually an I and what is actually a 1

J = I have not been able to find a Glenshaw seltzer bottle with a J code on it. Maybe they were made and maybe they weren't. I just don't know. J stands for 1938.

K-2 ~ Standard ~ Embossed ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-2 Embossed.jpg

K-2 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-2 Etched (3).jpg

Base of above K-2 etched bottle (No secondary number)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-2 Etched.jpg

Note: Because one of the last two bottles is embossed and one is etched, the K-2 doesn't appear to have anything to do with it being embossed versus it being etched.

K-8 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-8 Etched.jpg

K-10 ~ Standard ~ ACL ~ Clear

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-10 ACL.jpg

K-10 ~ Standard ~ Clear ~ (But it does not have an etched, embossed, or an ACL label. Its just plain ???)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle K-10 Clear.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
L-7 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle L 7 Etched (2).jpg

L-12 ~ Standard ~ Etched ~ Green

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle L-12 Etched (2).jpg

Base of above L-12 Etched bottle (No secondary number but obviously an L )

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle L-12.jpg

M-11 137 ~ Standard ~ Green ~ Etched Coca Cola

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle M-11 137 Etched Coca Cola.jpg

Base of above M-11 137 Etched Coca Cola bottle (Study closely and see if you think its marked with M-11 or M-II)

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle M-11 137 Etched Coca Cola Base.jpg

Note: The M is clearly visible but the 11 / II is not. Some sellers describe this mark as M-II but because all of the preceding bottles have numbers after the letters I honestly believe this mark is M-11 and not M-II

N-9 137 ~ Standard ~ Etched Coca Cola ~ Clear

Note: This is the latest date letter I have been able to find (N = 1942) but I do not know if Glenshaw stopped making seltzer bottles at this time or if they just stopped using letter-codes, or possibly some other explanation ???

Glenshaw Seltzer Bottle N-9 137 Etched Coca Cola.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I think if any sense is going to be made of the various marks I posted it will be found primarily in the secondary numbers such as 137, 805, 1284, which appear to be shape/style code numbers. Of course the numbers that follow the date letters are also important, but just exactly what they represent I'm not sure.

Here's a list of the so called date-numbers I have posted thus far ...

2 - 3 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12

... but exactly what they represent is the $64.00 question. All I can say at this juncture is that I have not seen a date-number higher than 12, which leads me to suspect they might represent months of the year. But then again, the 2 through 12 numbers might be mold numbers. ???

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
And here's a list of the combined Letter/Number codes I have posted thus far ...

G8 - G12 - H3 - H9 - H10 - I11 - K2 - K8 - K10 - L7 - L12 - M11 - N9

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26