Highlighting the embossing with whiteout

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just wanted to see how many of you paint the letters on your blobs and squats white to make them stand out better? I hate looking at my cases and just seeing rows of green and aqua squats because they all look the same. Do you guys use whiteout or white paint? Can you give me any tips or advice? I have done a couple bottles in the past and they turned out “OKâ€.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I really don't like bottles with the embossing painted. Just my preference.
I would recommend working on your display lighting rather than highlighting the embossing.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I don't like the way that looks. Just a personal preference.

Bottleman

Reaction score
As for lighting, right now I have a 23†florescent bulb in the top of my one case. The case is about 5 feet tall by 3 ½ feet wide. I very rarely turn the light on and it’s usually just when I am showing my collection to someone. Even with the light on, you can’t see the embossing on the really dark green bottles. The aqua ones are fine though.

I have the cases in my room and every morning I wake up and look over at them and all I see is rows of shinny tumbled green bottles that all look the same. I thought it might be nice to break up the color a little by highlighting the letters. I understand where you guys are coming from though.

I am still up in the air about this. Anyone have a picture of their soda/beer bottle collection with painted letters so I can get an idea of how it will look?

~Tom

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Several of the bottle shows I have been to had very nice back lighted displays. The Baltimore show for one always had some super setups. Great place to get display ideas.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Glad I don't have that problem[:D][:D][:D]. Go w/ the lighting.

BA935F886F084CC694F9CE4B695DB39C.jpg

Attachments

• BA935F886F084CC694F9CE4B695DB39C.jpg
    BA935F886F084CC694F9CE4B695DB39C.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 54

NCdigger5

Reaction score
If someone buys a bottle with the letters colored in like that, is there anyway to take it off?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
matters what they used. latex paint can be removed with hot water and a scrub brush but its a real pain if the glass has a rough surface. Stuff like marker can probably be removed with rubbing alcohol.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman