Historical Maps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Do any of our members have any suggestions on the best resource for accurate historical maps..? I hear from members all the time that they have old maps that show houses and they are able to locate vacant cellar holes with them.
Where are the best places to get these maps and is there on company or manufacturer that is better than another..?
Thanks,
BOB

RJ_Digs_Deep

Reaction score
Bob,

Now your talkin my language ... I am a map geek, and I like free stuff too.

For starters: (the best free web-site in the history of the web)

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/NewYork.htm

If you have any questrions ... just ask

It helps to have a good 2005 topo and road map program to cross reference the old sites ...

Have fun - stay in touch - Ron

Danoh

Reaction score
I gotta ask. How are these maps, as interesting as they are, going to help with finding houses and privies? Good resource though! -dan

flasherr

Reaction score
I went to my local library unfortunately they didn't have maps I was looking for. They did have an online resource to Sanborn fire maps which I was able to access from home by going through their website. So try your local library. Here is a sample of what one looks like

Brian

Ec88969.jpg

Attachments

• Ec88969.jpg
    Ec88969.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 91

madman

Reaction score
very nice flashr, im usin the sanbornes ,they got em at my library mike

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Ron, I get the maps to start to come up zoomed in, but they break away to a zoomed out version, do you download and then zoom in in like a pdf format or am I just being a dumbass again..?
BOB

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Rest curser on zoomed out portion. Look in lower corner of view you will see a symbol with outward pointing arrows. Click on it and voila it should show full size image of map. Hope this helps.
Cliff

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Yee Ha it does work Cliff, thanks alot!!
It sucks to be computer illiterate[&o]. But it helps to have tech support from you guys!![:D]

Dan the maps when zoomed in show little black dots along the roads that indicate houses, therefore if I have a hard copy of the map and locate a spot that shows a house in the 1900 map, no house there now.. Voila probably a cellar hole to be explored[;)]

Thanks again for all the help guys!!
Ron Ill find us some goodies!!
Bob

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
All Sanborn Maps have a legend key explaining all the marks and symbols. You might also try old township maps. I don't know if you have any mining camps back there, but the Sanborn's don't cover them. Try looking at the Division of Mines and Geology surveys. Old railroad maps, and surveys contain alot of info. about rail camps, depots, line crews as they were building the tracks, old towns and buildings they use to have tracks going, and water towers.
Whitelighting, where do you find the Beer's atlas maps? Who made them?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93