Holy Mountain Dew prices Batman

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Acls- I believe I read it in the dick bridgforth hillbilly bottles book. It is a great read, all of his books are if you like Mountain Dew history. Guess it is a obscure interest, but it got me hooked. If morbius was still around I'm sure he would have a wealth of info about them. There is a story surrounding the numbered bottles. One of the bottlers that was there when they were made told a story somewhere about how they were just to test the white lettering. I also remember something about 12345 signifying the first part of a run and 6789 being the end. Not too certain on that story. Wish I had a link.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Ant ~

Thanks for the info. One clue leads to another. If anyone knows the answer, I'm interested in whether the numbered bottles (Apparently all dated 1964) were issued after PepsiCo bought Mountain Dew in 1964 or before? I tried researching this online but couldn't find the answer. However, I did discover (to my surprise) that "Yahoo Mountain Dew" was first used in 1966, which was definitely a PepsiCo introduction.

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correction and additional information regarding my own question.

In my last post I typed 1966 regarding the introduction of "Yahoo Mountain Dew" but I meant 1965.

If the following is correct, it sounds like PepsiCo discontinued the use of names (and most likely the numbers as well) when they bought Mountain Dew in 1964. (September 2, 1964).

Sept. 2, 1964: Pepsi purchases the Tip Corporation, including the rights to Mountain Dew. Up to this point, at least 174 differently named bottles have appeared. This all comes to an end when Pepsi doesn't allow any more names on the label.[/align] [/align]1965: Pepsi unveils its "Yahoo Mountain Dew...It'll tickle your innards" campaign. Gran' Pappy the hillbilly stars as its spokesperson, along with his yokel kin.[/align] [/align]http://www.twoop.com/food/mountain-dew.html[/align]

Anthonicia

Reaction score
That's true I believe SodaB, but Pepsi must not have enforced the no name bottles very quickly. There are 300 or so named bottles with different variations. While I am sure the named bottles remained in bottling circulation until 67-68, I believe bottlers kept putting names on bottles through 65 and on through 66. Matter of fact, the bottling plants that refused to be bought out by Pepsi could still bottle mountain dew how they wished. Dr. Pepper bottling of West Jefferson, NC remains the last bottler of glass Pepsi and Mountain Dew bottler and get this, they use sugar and not corn syrup. I buy from them all the time. While I love throwback mountain dew, I can't get a taste for their bottled dew. However, the Pepsi in glass is the best I have ever had.
Once again, wish I had a link, but u can find their site by googling west Jefferson, NC Dr. Pepper bottling. I get mine from a local store which buys from them. I believe u can order from the site or there is a number posted. Well, hope I was informative with information that nobody but us bottle nuts care about.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster