Homemade Probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
hey thanks Chris, I need to make a 6 footer, I bought a 4 foot online and it's a great probe but it leaves a little to the imagination!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, a six footer is the way to go! Four footers are great for turning a back yard into a pin cushion in search of a pit, but once you think you've got one you may want to go a little deeper to know for sure. Our average pit here is a six footer so a four footer may not quite get down to the glassy use layer. They are also good for a deep pit to try and hit bottom. You're gonna find one this year, for sure. You are one determined digger! Chris

RedGinger

Reaction score
If you don't have the materials to make your own probe at the moment, what else could you use as a substitute? Thanks.
Laur

lexdigger

Reaction score
Laur, I tried a few substitues but they aren't nearly as good and are very disposable. Spring steel is really the only way to go because most everything else will get bent and won't go back straight and just drive you nuts! If the soil conditions aren't too dense you might try a car antenna attached to some type of t handle, but I'd be carefull using it. If you can't build one yourself your best bet may be to go ahead and order one online. Chris

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The primary reason for two holes in the handle is to give the rod more support. The top of the rod shpould be ground to a slight taper and the hole drilled to only allow the tip to be visible so that it can be braized. Properly done, there is no way that the rod can come through the top of the handle and stick you.

I have been making probes for 40 years, and can honestly say that none of mine has failed. I only use Mapp gas and let the new braizes air cool. NO quenching, it can cause problems with brittleness and become a safety hazard.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Well speak of the Devil! LOL I've tried out alot of other probes Mike and none of them were as good as the one you made me. The rod has just the right stiffness and the handle is good and sturdy. I've tried to copy it but all I could pull off was a "knockoff" of the real deal! You Da Man Mike! Thanks for everything, Chris

tigue710

Reaction score
some might say I'm a bit peculiar, maybe even strange... lol I'm a little obsessed I guess, but it pays off... the more time you spend on anything the better the results...

JGUIS

Reaction score
If you leave a half inch or so sticking out the top, it gives you something to beat on with a hammer if needed.

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Chris,I'm trying to get in touch with MikeD.I believe he tried to send me a couple of pictures to look at in the new Years resolutions lets hear um part of the forum but I was not able to access them for some reason.Any help you can give would be appreciated! Kev

f1addict

Reaction score
Ok, now that I know the perfect manufacturing technique for a good probe, can someone explain exactly how it's used? I get the general idea, jam it into the soil and see how far it goes, but it seems like there must be nuances to the technique. What are you looking (feeling) for. Someone mentioned hammering the butt end of the probe into the ground and I wonder how much tactile feedback you might obtain while beating away on spring steel with a hammer.

We found a number of other locations at the end of last season and when the snow finally melts we plan on investigating. It seems like a probe might be a worthwhile investment.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26