Honey dipper shovel...I think!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

privvydigger

Reaction score
Here's a curious thing I picked up in a trade......Looks like a honey dipper shovel
what do you think?

B9E1DED937E84F4297134347D99A0ED7.jpg

Attachments

• B9E1DED937E84F4297134347D99A0ED7.jpg
    B9E1DED937E84F4297134347D99A0ED7.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 156

athometoo

Reaction score
DAMN THATS A BIG BOTTLE OF HONEY. I LIKE THE SQUIRT KIND . REALLY COOL TO SEE WHAT ONE LOOKS LIKE , OH AND WATCHOUT FOR BEE S SAM

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Say, just how far up the chimney does that handle go??

Plumbata

Reaction score
It could be a specialized shovel used for clearing trenches for drainage pipes (or whatever) to be laid? Maybe it is for scooping out muck from deep water-filled ditches? I'd imagine that the long handle would make it impossible to use within the confines of an outhouse, and even if the outhouse was moved so the vault could be more easily accessed, I dunno how well it would work?

privvydigger

Reaction score
the story is an old gent told him his father was a honeydipper
i wish he were still alive to find out where he dumped it.
it has black muck stains up the handle.....

Plumbata

Reaction score
How would the load of "dipped honey" stay on the shovel? The angle doesn't quite look adequate enough for effective near-vertical usage within the confines of a deep and relatively narrow space, but I dunno, I'm not a honeydipper or anything.

Perhaps a view of the side profile would help, but the area where there is black on the handle was probably the primary gripping area, and if the angle of the shovel's head is such that it would be more or less flush with the ground while holding the handle where the black staining is, then I would wager that it was made to be a ditch-clearing tool. I've been reading an 1867 book called "Draining for Profit and Health" and the trenching shovels have very long handles and angled heads like yours, though the metal shovel heads depicted in the book are more narrow and elongated, kinda like a tree shovel, versus the style of your shovel.

I guess it would make sense if the shovel was used to scrape the waste from a privy into a bucket or something, but it was probably more of a functional innovation on the part of the person who used it rather than a tool specifically produced for clearing out massive loads of crap. Just my 2 cents I guess.

I hope that you figure out what it is!

privvydigger

Reaction score
having dug some newer privvys I'd say having the poop stick to the shovel is not the problem. You can barely shake it off and most times you have to wack the the shovel against a rock. I've read they removed the seat area to get at it easier. either way its a dirty job and people who do these types of jobs where very inventive. I've seen the rubber bucket but they really didn't have the rigitity but who knows.....

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I attest to the scoopability of the poop with such an instrument.. you "jab and twist" into the goods, and pull up whatever stuck to the spade.. scrape it off into a bucket, and repeat...I would still like to know exactly how long the handle is...[8|]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

How would the load of "dipped honey" stay on the shovel? The angle doesn't quite look adequate enough for effective near-vertical usage within the confines of a deep and relatively narrow space, but I dunno, I'm not a honeydipper or anything.

Perhaps a view of the side profile would help, but the area where there is black on the handle was probably the primary gripping area, and if the angle of the shovel's head is such that it would be more or less flush with the ground while holding the handle where the black staining is, then I would wager that it was made to be a ditch-clearing tool. I've been reading an 1867 book called "Draining for Profit and Health" and the trenching shovels have very long handles and angled heads like yours, though the metal shovel heads depicted in the book are more narrow and elongated, kinda like a tree shovel, versus the style of your shovel.

I guess it would make sense if the shovel was used to scrape the waste from a privy into a bucket or something, but it was probably more of a functional innovation on the part of the person who used it rather than a tool specifically produced for clearing out massive loads of crap. Just my 2 cents I guess.

I hope that you figure out what it is!

You gotta be kidding me????? Your not related to Cord are you?? Your 2 cents?? it's more like your whole piggy bank.

Oh dam I forgot to put an "s" on it's so I fixed it.
people who fix other peoples spelling thats another one.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28