how can i imporve on being a digger

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

alex burgin

Reaction score
i am only 15 years old but i have collected many bottles over the years i recently discovered a dump in the woods in my town and ive cleared it out on the top but when ever i dig i never find anything even though i know theres bottles to be found there. Can anyone help me in some way?

rpinkham

Reaction score
Wish I were 15 again! Keep trying! Sometimes I bring a short probe with be on walks to feel how deep the dumps may be. Lots of them are only on or near the surface.

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Always like to see young blood coming along. Ray gives good advise, use a short probe, about any stout metal rod with a handle will do for this purpose, and just keep poking it in the ground until you fid some depth. Good Luck.

madman

Reaction score
if you dont have a probe try digging test holes dig deep

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] What Rick said, dig many holes all over that dump, at least three or four feet deep, you will find bottles if you keep at it.........

rpinkham

Reaction score
Can we see some photos of what you have gathered so far? We like that. Dont be shy. Just think, at 15 you have a solid 65 more years of digging ahead of you!

sunrunner

Reaction score
as fare as dumps go,if its a house dump or a farm dump,mybe it is only a serfus dump. if you dig down to or three feet and dont find anything this maybe so. rule of thum,a town or city dump depending were you are,usualy ther is a ash layer arund a cupel of feet then a rust layer,i find bottlesin this layer,thu you can find them in the ash too.thers a clay cap that shows up some were,thee or four feet down.dig thew thes and some times the age well chang,and get older.hay good luck.

ILUV2DIG

Reaction score
DIG DEEPER! Look for that use layer usually composed of rust and broken glass. You will score a good one eventually. Good luck.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26