How deep should I dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FlaskMan

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I am digging in an old landfill. I found an 1880s beer bottle about 4 inches below the surface. On the surface it is filled with bottles from the 1940s-1950s. On the top I occasionally find an 1880s medicine bottle too.

I am not exactly certain this is a landfill. How can I identify this as being an old landfill? When I dig, it just seems like endless dirt, with the occasional piece of glass. Could there possibly be another layer underneath the one on the top, if so, how far underneath the surface?

NyDigger1

Reaction score
Ive dug a dump that had 14 feet of fill on top until you reach the bottom.

If the soil is white, ash, that means go deeper, if its orange, rust, go deeper, if its black, soot, go deeper.

If its normal brown soil id dig a 5-6 foot test hole just to be sure.

Dont let rocks discourage you, alot of dumps had rocks put underground, over the fill to cover them up

HH! Mike

FlaskMan

Reaction score
Wow! Alright, on the surface I have found these strange white cobblestones. Could this be a sign?

Also, in another spot I found a lot of rust, so I will dig there for sure.

truedigr

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be fill dirt from a dump. The original dump was at a different locale. They might have hauled the dirt where you are digging, then spread it. If it is endless dirt like you said, this could likely be the case. Do test holes in the area to be sure the dump isn't there. If you don't find the original dump or source close by, use a potato rake or hand trowel to dig the bottles out of the topsoil. Always go there after a good rain so you can find the smalls such as coins, tokens, marbles, etc. Robert

FlaskMan

Reaction score
Thanks! I know the general location of where it used to be via some old documents. I just have to pinpoint it exactly and that has been pretty hard to do.

FlaskMan

Reaction score
Alright, I went back today. I dug about 2 feet deeper and found some old broken jar bottoms! Good sign! I also found some old pieces of metal... I think I am getting closer to the bottom.

However, I found another spot that has a lot of white cobblestone on the surface, as well as broken bottles and jars on the surface. Is this worth my time? It's also near where I found my 1880 beer bottle 4 inches below the surface (However, this was the only thing I found).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.