How has the economy affected your collecting?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ajohn

Reaction score
I know in the jar world the prices have been down in auctions,and really down in the walk in shops.Sadly, I've seen a few shops go under.The big ones are staying alive by lowering their prices...a lot!I have also noticed that some jars are selling better at the begining of the month.Every thing except the colored stuff,still hanging tough.
As far as work in the construction trades it's been pretty tough.I've been in the high end artistic stuff for quite a few years now with the idea that "money always has money".But I've even seen those folks a little nervous lately.
Times like this bring families and friends closer,or it totally tears them up.I've seen the cycle a few times in the 32 yrs.I've been in the trades.Usually the EGO kills.
Gotta stick tough and not take it personal.I know that when I lend a hand to the other guy,I'm standing tough!
Good topic. Anthony-John

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of bottles come up for sale from older collectors.. On fixed incomes.. Also from guys that have ben outta work...I kinda feel bad but it has opened up a huge window of good glass for sale that you would never see other wise.. Buying all that fits into my collection while I can...

As for the shops many have many less dealers and the walk in traffic has slowed a lot.. I was in a shop 2 weeks ago buying a good amout of bottles and was happy with the marked prices and the owner offered 20% off so I just added a few more... gotta get um while you can...

SNDMN59

Reaction score
I have two antique and collectible booths . I have one section for antique bottles, i buy most of them at estate auctions etc. plus cutting down on my collection. It seems like the bottle collecting is not effecting the midwest.
Old bottles and vintage bottle openers are one of my hot sellers. I keep 50 - 75 bottles for sale in the booth at all times. But it does seem like they sell better on weekends.[:)]

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I have received quite a few phone calls from people wanting to sell their bottles-not collectors as such, but folks who have a few boxes full in the gargage or basement.
I have been able to upgrade some of my local stoneware via purchases very recently.
As for my collecting, not really affected. If I see it on feeBay or at a show and do not have it, I will buy it if it is priced properly.
This is a very good time to add those hard to find local bottles. I have lived in my town my entire life, collected locals for over 35 years, and I am missing several hard to find ones, and I hope that these tough times will shake them loose.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles