How many pre-1900s bottle collectors are there?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ohiosulator

Reaction score
I'm 21 and I love early glass. My main passion in collecting is now Historical flasks, mainly scrolls.

I love the hobby and there's noting better than holding a flask that's been around for 150+ years. The history our hobby represents is amazing.

epackage

Reaction score
I'm all for bottles that are pre 1900 as long as they have the special word on them...[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Andy says that there are hundreds of "nutso" collectors. Are all those eBay auctions fueled by a couple hundred active collectors?
I can't say how many but my guess on ebay is that the vast majority are fueled by profit more than interest.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I wouldn't call my self a collector. To "collect" on a regular basis you have to buy bottles to build your collection.(unless you dig everyday) and who can do that?I am just a (part time) digger who collects what he digs basically.The thrill of digging out weighs the fever to buy bottles for me.what ever I get I get,sometimes I get nothing, like now being is this dry digging spell that we are in. I do buy a bottle here and there but not very often.
When I look at bottles on my shelf,I by pass the few I have bought and focus on the dug ones, they bring back memory's of the digging adventure that produced them .

So yes I do collect/dig pre 1900's bottles [:D]

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Read the question again. He's not asking if we collect bottles made prior to 1900. So you are all implying you were born before 1900???? You are all a bunch of old farts.

91604F37F2C84285B1BEFAA0FD736CDD.jpg

Attachments

• 91604F37F2C84285B1BEFAA0FD736CDD.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 58

glass man

Reaction score
I started in 1974..wish it had been just a few years earlier 67 at least..before all the coke hutches were dug up from round here.. it really kicked off here by 69..

Man at all the straight side cokes and as I said hutch cokes that were dug within a little over 20 miles from here and hundreds upon hundreds of straight sides dug where I live.

One man dug up what was left of a rotted wood basket that was full of coke hutches..a some broke..cracked..but many in great shape..by 74 the older dumps like that had pretty much been dug out..the one here 1910 -1930 or so still had plenty of bottles in it..probably does.

Of course to have been a digger in SAV. Georgia before any one else was would have been unreal!!

I bought a bottle for 3 dollars in 1975 or so"INDIAN FIG SYRUP" for kidneys..I think it was?Amber and from the small town Of Quitman Georgia..I went to a huge Atlanta flea market held inside the four huge buildings that was for livestock showings or whatever when the GREAT SOUTHEASTERN FAIR was once held.I took the bottle with me just to ask some one there if any one happened to have bottles what it might be worth.

I found a person set up and when he saw it before I could really ask about it he offered me 50 bucks for it!Now at that time 50 dollars was not much less then half of what I made weekly at the factory I worked at.I told him I would think about it and walked off feeling pretty excited!

I got to thinking why not go for the moon and ask $100 for it.

I went back and told him I would take a 100 dollars for it..he never said a word just wrote me a check out for the $100..it was the first time I met TOM HICKS a long time bottle collector..he still had the bottle in his collection today..it is a rare one..he said [the last time I saw him..a couple years ago?] that he had only seen one other and it was in bad shape.JAMIE

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: UncleBruce

Read the question again. He's not asking if we collect bottles made prior to 1900. So you are all implying you were born before 1900???? You are all a bunch of old farts.

If you read my last remark whipper snapper you will see that I answered the boys question ((cough(((snezzzzzzzzzzee))ahhh.[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4