How old is old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

may48185

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a question. How old is old? How old does the bottle have to be, before it is of any value?
I have alot of whisky bottles, but am starting to wonder should I just through them all away lol
I am tired of hanging on to them..
I posted a photo in another post. here it is again

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v340/discount2k3/bottles/

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey May,

I'll start with this, most antique collectors will label an item an antique if it is over 100 years. That works out pretty nicely for bottles right now with the advent of automatic bottle making machine roughly 100 years ago.

However, old is a relative term. Some people will think that a bottle from World War Two is old, others would think its modern.

The fact is that age is not the only factor in determining value. If an item is collectible, people will want it and pay to get it. Age certainly can help a bottle, but there are common - old (if you will) bottles that have low value and rare - modern bottles that have high value.

I am not an expert on whiskey bottles, though. My guess is that your bottles have some value but not a ton. Maybe someone else will give better estimates . . .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Age alone isnt required for bottles to be collectible.
People collect non-returnable sodas that are only 30 or 40 years old.
If an item has other factors such as rarity or artistic beauty it doesnt need to be old to be collectible.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The fact that I'm still mixing drinks out of chambord bottle quite like yours either means yours isn't very old, or I AM very old. I prefer to think yours isn't old. LOL!

Jim G

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well may48185, There is a collector of decanters like yours in Oil City, Pa. and I will sick him on to yours with the same references. I wouldn't throw them away.
RED Matthews

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yeah age is not the bottom line.. BUT.. just about every bottle which is from the 1870's or earlier and in good condition is worth something... BUT there are bottles from the 1970's worth more than some from 1870's.. it depends how cool and collectible the items are.. I saw your whiskey paraphernalia and I'm sure somebody will pay to own them..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin