how to date a dump the easy way

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

elmoleaf

Reaction score
Here's a calendar we dug in a 1920s dump. The calendar is one reason we know it's a 20s dump. Also, it is consistent with the milk bottles we've found that have embossed dates on the bottom, the amounts of abm versus blown in mold bottles, and the relative amounts of screw cap bottles. It also fits in with the years in business of companies whose embossed bottles we've dug up. Of course, something like this could always have been discarded many years after it was made, so you need to look at everthing found. For example, we'd also found another plastic calendar that was dated 1918, but based on everything else found, it was apparently tossed years later.

I've been trying to smush this calendar flat with some lead weights for about a month now. But after over 70 years of being crumpled in the ground, I guess it'll take awhile to get flat again.

Jh16946.jpg

Attachments

• Jh16946.jpg
    Jh16946.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 64

madman

Reaction score
hey elmo nice find!! ive also dug a calendar wierd these survived mike

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Elmo and Mike, Put your plastic ads under weighted glass and heat slowly with a heat gun on LOW. You can get a cheap heat gun at your local tool outlet.

Yooper14

Reaction score
Madman,
I see that calendar you dug is from Mansfield, Ohio. Are you near there? I'm about 45 minutes
Yooper

Bixel

Reaction score
I have dug some plastic calendars/ business directories that helped me date some dumps. Also they are very interesting to understand your local history of businesses when you are only 17!

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Hellp Elm, I collect Stuff from old lumber companys & I waswondering if you wanted to trade a few bottles for the calender?? Let Me know What you collect Maybewe can work something out. Thanks & Merrry Christmas!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85