How to Dig Test Holes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SMJB

Reaction score
I am in need of some advice as to how I go about digging test holes. How far down do you guys usually go, and how wide? I hit hard packed sand at about 9". I usually don't go deeper because I haven't found anything at that depth. The bottles I am finding are only about 4-6 inches down.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I am in need of some advice as to how I go about digging test holes. How far down do you guys usually go, and how wide? I hit hard packed sand at about 9". I usually don't go deeper because I haven't found anything at that depth. The bottles I am finding are only about 4-6 inches down.
What are you digging? 4-6 inches you should be able to probe.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

SMJB

Reaction score
What are you digging? 4-6 inches you should be able to probe.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
What I've been doing is starting a hole with a short-handled shovel, and then using a plastic garden digger, I go into the sides of the hole and hope for the tell-tale squeak of glass. I don't have a probe yet. How do they work? Forgive my ignorance, Robby. I am really interested to learn.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
What I've been doing is starting a hole with a short-handled shovel, and then using a plastic garden digger, I go into the sides of the hole and hope for the tell-tale squeak of glass. I don't have a probe yet. How do they work? Forgive my ignorance, Robby. I am really interested to learn.
Probes are indispensable as far as locating things underground. I have a large probe I have had for years. I also have a mini that is only 2 feet long. Purchased ones are nice. I made the little one. Any spring steel rod will work. Weld it to a piece of heavy pipe for the handle. Kind of acts like a speaker. Accenting the sound the tip makes striking things. Like the can and string telephones kids play with. You can get a really good feel for using a probe. I have a walking staff that has a steel point. I can use that in soft soil and do. Just like what you are talking about a couple inches down. You can hear it when you strike a bottle, makes that tell tale glass sound.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

SMJB

Reaction score
Probes are indispensable as far as locating things underground. I have a large probe I have had for years. I also have a mini that is only 2 feet long. Purchased ones are nice. I made the little one. Any spring steel rod will work. Weld it to a piece of heavy pipe for the handle. Kind of acts like a speaker. Accenting the sound the tip makes striking things. Like the can and string telephones kids play with. You can get a really good feel for using a probe.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
OK, so you just feed it down after you dig down a little?

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Hello @SMJB, I think this is our first time communicating.

So, to answer your question, I have several questions for you.

Where are you digging?
what tells do you find that makes you dig?
The type of soil will also dictate the type of "prospecting" you do.... as Robby pointed out probing can save time and effort.
what info do you go on when seeking dig sites?

With these questions come further questions and answers.

Your test hole method is reasonable if the tells on the surface or surroundings indicate.

I'm certain you will get many responses from others and myself coming up... please elaborate and we'll help as much as we can!
~Fred

SMJB

Reaction score
I am digging a spot on my property where I have found tons of bottles dating from 1890s-1950s. I also have found a chain link purse from the 1920s, and some very old vacuum tubes. Additionally, a very old clothes iron and stoneware shards.
I just bought the place a couple of years back. I'm in SE Mass. There is a farm from the 1850s that abuts my property. The spot where I have been finding the bottles is right on the property line with the farm.
Digging is tough. There are lots of fir and pine roots. I am on 4.5 acres, so I want to test other areas. I am absolutely going to make a probe.

SMJB

Reaction score
There is also an old cart path (in fact, old town maps call it the "cart path") which runs through my land, across a brook in the back of my property. It used to lead from the town center to a relatively large pond a mile or so away. I am hoping to find a place alongside the cart path where they could have dumped stuff. This is Kingston, MA, est. 1726, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis