How to find dumps/bottle dumps??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
I live in Marin County, California and I'm very new to bottle digging. I would like to know how to find locations to dig bottles. If anybody has any tips or locations to dig in Marin/bay area please tell me.Thanks,-Ben

sunrunner

Reaction score
just south of candle stick park on the bay side there use to be a pretty good dump. on the Oakland side down on the bay near Freemont past Fruitvale I heard of one there also.this was 34 years ago so I don't know what has changed . good luck.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
I went to the town hall and they have no records of old town maps or dumps. I would look for a privy on my property but it was built in 1940's, I don't think they were using them back then.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
What I do is look in bodies of water and the woods. I live too far away to ride my bike over to the historic section to ask people if I might be alowd to look for privies. Our house was built in '25. So far, I've located one dump in the woods behind it, and one outside the living room buried in the ground. What you can do is look into pre-1900 homes and get a digging partner. Or go it alone like I.
I doubt yours has one, but even here there's one house that has no sewer hook-ups--several others that are built near it still don't either. I'm infatuated with this house, amusingly enough. Everyone else think's it's creepy.

Attachments

• b047e79de9fb45aa97b23457cc1a01bd.jpg
    b047e79de9fb45aa97b23457cc1a01bd.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 52

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
There used to be a tire dump in the woods next to me from 1950's to 1960's and I found some bottles there so nothing that old. How do you ask to look around somebody's yard? I know of some houses in Fairfax that date back to the early 1900's.Thanks,-Ben

goodman1966

Reaction score
Hi Ben, I've had a little success by finding out where the older gentlemen hang out and drink coffee and talk. They are a wealth of info ! Saturday morning at a local diner, restaurant or coffee shop would be a good start. They can tell you where they took their trash and such when they were kids. And you will here some interesting stories. I always bring a few of the more common bottles to show them that I think they will recognize. Good luck, Mitch

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology