How's the economy where you are?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Oops.....I posted the last message before signing out of Jens login. I guess it was bound to happen when we use the same machine. Sorry baby.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Jen,

Keep in mind that government numbers only include those that are currently collecting unemployment. Many unemployed may have already exhausted thier benefits or are not eligible to collect benefits.

Mike

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
That would include me. My unemployment ran up long ago, then I was screwed out of my federal extension by a loop hole because I moved between states. California approved my claim, but MT denied it. Only the money I made in CA was then used to figure my claim and the other $50k from MT was not included, which meant DENIED.

LC

Reaction score
I live in Brown County Ohio , and things here are no better than where toddrandolph is . My Wife has had three jobs in the past three years . She lost the first job due to down sizing , She lost the second job due to the place closing due to not being able to financially stay in business . And she is losing her present job in two months when this place she works at at present closes its doors due to financial reasons . And it is not just her , ther are many people in my area losing jobs as well as many that have been without jobs for some time now , and there are really no decent paying jobs available where I person can make a living . I believe we are in a lot worse shape in this country than some people think we are .

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Bram,
I just want to share a quote my Mom shared with me when I was in a desperate place along with the Serenity prayer they help to remind me what is most important. I know it sonds corny. Its a quote by Mark Twain I believe in his old age its something like
"All my life I have worried of which 95% never happened"
I'm right down the road Bram I know you and believe in you and you have to believe when one door closes another will open. Kevin

pa digger

Reaction score
you have to believe when one door closes another will open

Yes this use to be true, but doors are closing faster then they are opening! And the few that are open are smaller then the ones that closed. This is one of the many reasons this country is in the shape that it is in.

I myself have been laid off since last april, I have placed resumes at every temp service in the area and each and every one of them has told me the same thing. We are slow at the moment. This has gone on for almost a year and not one call.

I myself blame the government for letting this thing happen. They saw this coming a long time ago and did nothing about it. The bail out and the whole ceo thing is a joke. These people made soooo much money, that they could afford to lose their jobs and have enough for them and their kids to live the rest of their lives with not a care in the world.

It is sad to see so many hard working honest people with out jobs! I am a very positive person and i am not trying to sound negative here but it's going to get alot worse before it get's better. It all comes down to greed. Let's all open a new bigger and better door and become a lazy A-- C.E.O !!!!!!! I think not and could not step that low as i have more pride then that. If that is the so called american dream then i hope i never have a dream like that.

P.S. I hope that everyone that has experienced a long term layoff much luck and happiness in the search

Later, PA DIGGER

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jim

We need to cut taxes for all businesses, small, medium and large, and reduce the burdensome regulatory structure to common-sense necessities only. Any business is there to make a profit. If the government makes that too hard or impossible, that business will close up or head overseas. The private sector is essential to providing a good living for our citizens and driving our economy. Government jobs and "stimulus" boondoggles are not the answer. Without the private sector, who will be left to pay for them?

Very good points, Jim. If only people truly understood. Being self-employed has a way of opening one's eyes, don't it? I think only 8% of the current administration has ever had any experience in the private sector.

Also, the unsecured debt load on Americans is what will do us in if anything does.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I work at a national retail druggist chain, and luckily the store where I'm employed is located in a well-to-do town of retirees and high-tech VP types.
For me I've been living from paycheck-to-paycheck now for 5 years so I haven't really been affected by the downturn in the National economy. Our 401(k) plan allows each employee to choose the mix of investments by percentage. I moved my plan into the stable value fund just before the stock market tanked and lost only $100 or so.
The area I live in is Santa Clara Valley/San Jose Metro and home foreclosures are rampant. The list of trustees' sales each week is giant. Commercial real estate is beginning to seriously tank. There are numerous empty office buildings for lease that have been sitting for months and months. Two "destination" malls have gone bankrupt -- one in the early stages of construction now left to the elements with investors/lenders completely pulled out of the project.
As for the stock market, it is run by the same big banks that are too greedy to fail. All you have to do is check the daily computer-generated "buy programs" that come in the last 15 minutes of the market every day to bring the Dow up from negative numbers. The market is being propped up for the benefit of the CEOs and their ilk in the major corporations and their various stock options to be exercised at the best possible moment.
All the financial shenanigans that brought the stock market down are still unregulated and being used probably right this moment to manipulate someone's bottom line.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
HI Kevin-
Thanks for the encouragement. Cristina and I are in a good head space with it all at this point. We have no plans of giving up on life, you know me, I"m a hopeless entreprenuer, I couldn't stop if I tried :)
My pessimism is more for the national economy, with the massive debt and government dependency I see all around me, I can't see the economy turning back up like it normally does. I think we are going to see things we've never seen before, and I just want to be ready for it, and be realistic.

I'm glad your business is still going strong. You have outstandingly good food :) You bust your ass too.

Hopefully, I will soon have more time to dig and dive. Without a $7500 a month mortgage at the hall to pay each month, the house mortgage will feel much less daunting. I'm sure I'll find enough of an income, while I put together another business plan ( non food related )

Actually for the short term I'm thinking "Brambo's BBQ" , just doing steak tips, ribs, and chicken on the grill for large events. Little of no overhead.
thanks again, Bram

earlyglass

Reaction score
There you go Brambo!

I am not really hurting yet, but am a self-employed guy as well and always needing to work at keeping my head above water. I can't collect any unemployment, and need to work every day to make sure that money continues to roll. There is no doubt that the glory days are over. However, look online and find comparisons between today's economic crisis and the great depression of 1932. There is really no comparison. Most of us are not waiting in line for our bread rations, or hanging around at the home depot begging for work, etc. This could be a lot worse.

All that I am trying to say is... take your bad situation and make the best of it. This isn't a video game where you die if you fail, you get up and heal your wounds, and move on. Your family will still love you, your friends will still support you, and you will regain any lost self esteem. Been there plenty of times.

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli