Hubble sees Galaxies galore

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tandy

Reaction score
While "surfing" the internet, I happened to find this site, which is really something. It has nothing to do with bottles!

The photo, which is in jpg form, will take a long time to load, but is well worth the wait!

Here is the site's URL:

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2004/07/images/a/formats/full_jpg.jpg

Cheers

Tandy

Road Dog

Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with the scale of things. In our solar system it takes light around 5 hours to go from the sun to the planet Pluto. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. Our Solar System is a small part of our galaxy(the Milky Way). The Milky Way is like the galaxies you see pictured and is 80,000 to 120,000 light years in diameter. In case you don't feel small enough yet the observable Universe is around 20 Billion light years. Actual Universe size is well beyond thay probably. Light travels 186,000 miles in a second and we are measuring in light years. Wow! Another twist on things is the Galaxies you see in the picture are as they were millions of years ago since it has taken the light that long to reach us. Who knows what they look like now.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Tandy, Great pic man. It kinda makes you feel small.[8|]

Hey Wayne, I dated a two headed blue lady who lived in the large galaxy top center.[&:]

Ahhhh.......I am one with the universe, and its almost not big enough for my fat buttox.[sm=lol.gif]

bearswede

Reaction score
It kinda makes you feel small.

You may FEEL small, Warren... But I've seen your picture... Especially those saggy parts... Yuh...Small...Uh Huh....

Big Ol' Ugly Bear

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey, It takes a lot of little saggy parts to make one gorgeous hunk of man like me.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

The last time I visited space the hubble folks did think there was an eclipse.[8D]

Tandy

Reaction score
Just a quick thought....

We "see" other galaxies as they were many, many (up to millions) of years ago. This is our "visible" universe.

What about the galaxies whose light has not yet reached our own, and therefore we do not "see" them?

Think about it!

Tandy

diginit

Reaction score
sure hope cap and the swede know each other well. Someone could get flattened.[:D]

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, Lets break out some brown liquor and get flattened.[8D] You can have some too James.[:D]

Then we can go where no bottle folks have gone before![&:]

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960