I don't know much about bottles !!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Asking $50. does not mean someone will pay it. There are scammers who list bottles at far more than they are worth. I don't know why. but I certainly would not trust them, Use ebay as a guide only if you see a bid, and then examine the description VERY carefully. Small variations in color or embossing can make a huge difference.

Steelerscotty

Reaction score
Asking $50. does not mean someone will pay it. There are scammers who list bottles at far more than they are worth. I don't know why. but I certainly would not trust them, Use ebay as a guide only if you see a bid, and then examine the description VERY carefully. Small variations in color or embossing can make a huge difference.
I know what you mean. I do sell quite a bit on ebay. There is a big difference sometimes between asking prices and what people are actually paying for things. I always go by the sold values when I post on Ebay. I thought they might be worthless. So if one might be $50 or less tha.ts better than I was thinking they were worth.

Steelerscotty

Reaction score
I have a few bottles I came across from my grandfathers home. A few of them are Pepsi look like from the 70's unopened. I have a coke also maybe 70's and a 7up. See photos. There are also small miniatures of a few soft drinks. Lastley there is a amber or brown color bottle with a cork. Would just like any info anyone may have and a value. I am looking to moves these on to someone that can use or wants them. Thank you!!!
Another question for you guys & Gals. In the last photo of this post, the Pepsi cola bottle on the right (the smaller 0ne) I was looking on ebay and one just sold empty with no cap for $360... Then I kept looking and all the other bottles like this one on ebay sold for the $10-$14 range. I am trying to figure out what made that one so special. Any ideas?????

hemihampton

Reaction score
I can maybe answer both questions in your last 2 post. Asking Price & selling price are 2 different things, Yes, But selling price & selling price on ebay can be 2 different things also, meaning ebay is so unpredictable you can sell one item on ebay one week for $10 & then post the exact same item on ebay a week later & get $100 & Visa Versa. The Case of your $360 pepsi could be a example, maybe some one payed $360 for a common $10-$15 Bottle which I've seen similar stuff happen many times or maybe there was a small difference or variation that made it super rare? LEON.

Steelerscotty

Reaction score
I can maybe answer both questions in your last 2 post. Asking Price & selling price are 2 different things, Yes, But selling price & selling price on ebay can be 2 different things also, meaning ebay is so unpredictable you can sell one item on ebay one week for $10 & then post the exact same item on ebay a week later & get $100 & Visa Versa. The Case of your $360 pepsi could be a example, maybe some one payed $360 for a common $10-$15 Bottle which I've seen similar stuff happen many times or maybe there was a small difference or variation that made it super rare? LEON.
Thank you for your comments Leon! That was what I was wondering if there was something that made the bottle super rare and if so what that was. That's a big difference between $10 and $360 and for someone to drop $360 on an empty pepsi bottle I would hope they had a good reason. Does the location of the plant it was made at make a difference? That is the only thing I can see that is different in these bottles?

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Another question for you guys & Gals. In the last photo of this post, the Pepsi cola bottle on the right (the smaller 0ne) I was looking on ebay and one just sold empty with no cap for $360... Then I kept looking and all the other bottles like this one on ebay sold for the $10-$14 range. I am trying to figure out what made that one so special. Any ideas?????
Some sellers will purchase there own items on separate accounts, but not pay for them. They will go into sold listings anyway. They are trying to show large sell prices to try and raise the price of the bottle up. This happened with Disney vhs tapes where there were scam sold listing for $1000’s, but were Active listings for $1

hemihampton

Reaction score

Steelerscotty

Reaction score
Looking at that $360 Pepsi Auction the Seller has 0 ZERO Feedback & buyer only has 2. Not sure I'd be comfortable calling that a Legit Auction. others opinions may vary.

Ya I never thought about people buying there own item for lots of $$$ to raise the prices. I guess I just don't think that way. I guess it is just a $10 bottle. I would think these bottles would be worth more still filled and with a cap, or am I wrong? And by more I mean $5 or $10 more not hundreds...

Creek Diver

Reaction score
The brown bottle might be from the 1930's or 1940's. It was made at the Owens-Illinois glass factory in Alton, Il (the #7 on the left of the logo). If the number on the right is simply a single digit it probably from the 30s. If it's a single digit with a "." behind in it could be from the early 40s. It's not worth much, but it's in good shape and approaching 100 years old.

Those short, wide-mouth Pepsi bottles are cool. I've never seen a Pepsi bottle like that.

Steelerscotty

Reaction score
The brown bottle might be from the 1930's or 1940's. It was made at the Owens-Illinois glass factory in Alton, Il (the #7 on the left of the logo). If the number on the right is simply a single digit it probably from the 30s. If it's a single digit with a "." behind in it could be from the early 40s. It's not worth much, but it's in good shape and approaching 100 years old.

Those short, wide-mouth Pepsi bottles are cool. I've never seen a Pepsi bottle like that.
Cool! Thank you for the comments about the brown bottle. That helps me out with it a little. I had an uncle that worked at a liquor store back in the 70's I believe that is where all these bottles came from. The smaller ones like the Pepsi bottles were advertising items I am guessing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583