I saw a small smokehouse/shack/privy on the side of the road today.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jet Coaster Fan

Reaction score
I saw this building along the side of the road back in a slight depression in the hillside. There was no house hear this tiny building along this dirt road for hundreds of feet in any direction. It had a slightly slanted back tin roof and light beige concrete blocks, like a smokehouse would have. The roof looks to be about 5 feet tall in the front, sloping down to four feet to the back wall. In front of the shack, from the level of the shack down to the road, there is a 3 foot tall 30 foot long very very old looking dry stacked stone wall. The stones stick out a good bit. Is this a national forestry outpost, a old privy site, a smokehouse or a hobo shack? I'm personally guessing a smokehouse or a site of a old privy. but why would a privy be way out here on the side of the road like this?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Hard to say without photographs. Another possibility (although I think it's two small) could be a building for a telephone exchange. Back in the 50s or earlier, many was the little town that had some sort of local telephone exchange building. They were little, often not much more than outhouse sized, and often off on their own. My Grandfather worked for Ma Bell, and my father remembers, with absolutely no fondness, mowing the little lawns at these places. Up here in VT, they phased them out back in the 70s. Jim G
Jet Coaster Fan said:
I saw this building along the side of the road back in a slight depression in the hillside. There was no house hear this tiny building along this dirt road for hundreds of feet in any direction. It had a slightly slanted back tin roof and light beige concrete blocks, like a smokehouse would have. The roof looks to be about 5 feet tall in the front, sloping down to four feet to the back wall. In front of the shack, from the level of the shack down to the road, there is a 3 foot tall 30 foot long very very old looking dry stacked stone wall. The stones stick out a good bit. Is this a national forestry outpost, a old privy site, a smokehouse or a hobo shack? I'm personally guessing a smokehouse or a site of a old privy. but why would a privy be way out here on the side of the road like this?

Jet Coaster Fan

Reaction score
Any good possibility for a pit of bottles or some on the surface around the shack?

sunrunner

Reaction score
privy or out house.woud not be right next to a open rode .id say a storehouse of some kind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL