Icy cold diggin..but got a nice one

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Had the day off today, and went back to a riverside dump to dig. It's one of those dumps that just keeps on givin. Didn't get much, just enough to whet the appetite. The best of the handful I got was a cool relish jar. I thought it was a Bunker Hill Pickle from Somerville Mass, but when I got the mud off, it was heavily embossed " GEO. R. EMERSON / WEST SOMERVILLE " and it has an embossed steeple or tower of some sort on it, right where the Bunker Hill pickle bottle has the Bunker hill monument embossed on it. I wonder who copied who's design? The must have been neighbors, and the bottles are very similar. I really like this one, I dont think it is valuable, but it will look good in my collection!
I also got a local clear tooled top whiskey flask embossed " Rochester Bottling Co. Dover NH". I've only seen one or two of these before, so it is a scarce local bottle for sure.
It was great to get out and dig. But two hours with my feet sunk into the icy mud, and no hat, I'm afraid I'll have a wicked cold tomorrow. It was worth it.
Happy diggin
Bram

Ec87222.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87222.jpg
    Ec87222.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Nice one Bram! I have that one and a labeled cathedral with the Emerson label.... You dont see them all that often, what do you think it is worth? Taz

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
PS that building is the old powder house in somerville, mass... I build this 18' stone outhouse this fall at a mine I collect at in N.H. It was going to be a replica of that pickle bottle but I changed the silo roof to a turret, being more resilient to flying rocks when blasting. Taz

Yw68190.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68190.jpg
    Yw68190.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 50

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Taz...

Looks like you got way too much time on your hands, my friend!! It sure came out great though.

I better hide this thread so Pam doesn't see it, or she'll have me building dog houses, rabbit hutches, forts, garages whatever with rocks in my spare time!!![X(]

Wayne

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne! This summer I get to put up the house that is attached to it......[8|] That is one stone lined privy you won't want till dig for at least another 100 years! Happy digg'n Taz[:D]

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Bram, I thought you might find this info interesting, the labeled George Emerson Somerville, Mass "Superior" pickle with the 1776 old powder house trade mark. See you at the show, Taz

Nl31090.jpg

Attachments

• Nl31090.jpg
    Nl31090.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete