Id help please Is it called a pontil ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Here's a combination pontil where a bare blow pipe used as a pontil rod apparently left oxidation residue inside the tubular pontil scar... This is on a Johnson's Indian Dyspeptic Bitters... When the pontil rod was removed it tore out two chunks of glass at the base and left a small crack up the side...

Ron

E98A7A46699C423BB3AA6BFDC8A6B5E5.jpg

Attachments

• E98A7A46699C423BB3AA6BFDC8A6B5E5.jpg
    E98A7A46699C423BB3AA6BFDC8A6B5E5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 53

swkwms

Reaction score
,,, Thanks for the website.. I have gone on and looked. Has a lot of information that us beginers need to know... Thanks again,

LC

Reaction score
Love the crude pontil on that bottle Ron, thanks for posting it for all to see.

In reference to open pontils, do any of you soda hounds have any squat sodas with open pontils ? There was a fellow here locally, that ran what I think was called an end loader for a big construction company who laid the ground work for the Riverfront Stadium back in the seventies, as well as other construction work in Cincinnati. Talk about cleaning up on some fantastic bottles from the oldest part of the city. He had what I considered to be the finest collection of sodas from Cincy than any other collection of them I had even seen. He passed away quite a few years ago, I do not know what ever became of his collection. He had many other bottles as well as the sodas, a nice collection of beers and others. He came up with a squat paneled open pontiled soda from Cincy, its color being so dark, you could hardly see through it. Regretfully, I can not remember the name of it, but at the time it was the only one known of by its name. And that was the only soda I had ever seen with a crude open pontil, and have never seen another. Have any of you fellows who are fortunate enough to dig the privies ever came up with open pontiled sodas of any kind. If so, I would love to see them being sodas are one of my favorite areas of collecting.[/align]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL