identify these 2 bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sahunt

Reaction score
Can anyone give an idea on a date range for these? I know I have seen pics of the bottom of bottles like the ones on the ends but now can't seem to easily find them. I can take better pics tomorrow if it would help.

Attachments

• 20240415_190334.jpg
    20240415_190334.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240415_190338.jpg
    20240415_190338.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43

hemihampton

Reaction score
they don't look super old to me, the blue one could be from the 1940's-70's? Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I suspect the blue one is even newer, when did cobalt blue wine bottles first show up, the 80s or so? I associate them with the 21st century for the most part. The one on the left looks older, maybe 1930s or so? And the one on the right is hard to date, probably mid-20th century (ish).

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with CanadianBottles here - I feel like that cobalt blue bottle is actually pretty new. It even has knurling/stippling (I believe that's the right term) on the base, and that would put the bottle post-1940, when the Owens Co. invented the process. These are the little ridges/dimples around the base, and help prevent the bottle from sliding if it becomes wet (via condensation, etc.).

The one on the right looks almost exactly like a wine that I found last year. These guys are really hard to date - the process and style of wine bottles changed very little from the late 1800s, and if it was made somewhere outside the U.S. older techniques were used. I tend to date the one I found as 1910s-1930s, but it's purely a guess based on other items I've found in my particular area.

The one on the left is probably the most difficult to tell what the age is - it definitely seems older than the other two, but that's just a gut feeling based on the shape of the bottle and neck and the punt at the bottom.

If you can, post some pictures of the seam of the bottles as it reaches the neck - this will help determine if the bottle was machine made or hand blown and give a rough date estimate, though wines are always tough to tell.

Semar

Reaction score
The blue one is probably a liebfraumilch 'Hock' white wine bottle. These wines were often bottled in colors such as puce and blue.
1713374952108.png

Dub

Reaction score
They all look like old/ not really, wine bottles to me.

Semar

Reaction score
Can't disagree with that, but a close up of the neck of the bottle on the left might help with determining the age of that particular example because it looks like an old style applied or tooled lip.

Dub

Reaction score
The left and right one are blown glass, and depending on the neck could offer a date, but independent glass makers have and are making them the old ways then, now, and in the future. .so is hard to date unless something else points to the date. . But definitely not a blob tops, so not old old.
. And the blue one isn't even blown glass, but it's nice that it's blue.

Semar

Reaction score
The left and right one are blown glass, and depending on the neck could offer a date, but independent glass makers have and are making them the old ways then, now, and in the future. .so is hard to date unless something else points to the date. . But definitely not a blob tops, so not old old.
. And the blue one isn't even blown glass, but it's nice that it's blue.
Okay then. :cool:

Reactions: Dub

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator