Identifying my bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rytedeal

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have always been a collector. My first bottles were dug last week and I need a little help identifying them. A little back ground that I know. I was up in the sierra's this past week and found a old cabin foundation. I was poking around and came across a large fallen tree where its roots exposed many old tin cans. Went to a ranger station near by and found that the cabin was built in the 1880's. I dug four bottles intact. One that is a tall neck, clear with no markings, the other tall neck aqua green/blue with marking on bottom " AB E14, the small long neck green bottle is a LEA & PERRINS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUSE bottle with a green glass stopper and on the bottom reads, J16D with an "S" below. The last bottle is smaill fat and has three rings at the bottom and three rings at the top with 1786 embossed on the bottom, it has a wide mouth and leans a little. I am most curious about this one as it is small and wonder what it was in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rytedeal

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Ritey! [:)]
I am sure this would be easier if you could post a pic of the discoveries, but until then I'll give it a guess: the first two are either wine bottles or olive oil bottles, the L&P that's obvious.. and the last one sounds like a barrel mustard, and they all date from the 1900 era..

E47547359ABC4A819105B677EF3EBA5F.jpg

Attachments

• E47547359ABC4A819105B677EF3EBA5F.jpg
    E47547359ABC4A819105B677EF3EBA5F.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 71

rytedeal

Reaction score
Cyberdigger,

You nailed the last one. The one on the right is exactly what it looks like. Do you know what the 1786 means stamped on the bottom? I was trying to post a pic but was getting "File to big". After doing a little more research, the aqua/blue bottle that is stamped AB is from the American Bottle company. What I am curious about is the "E 14" on the bottom. Does that date it at 1914? I will try to get a picture posted soon.

Thank you!

rytedeal

Reaction score
That's exactly what my L&P looks like. I also found the glass top to it that says Lea & Perrins. Did the top have cork on it at one time? As for my other bottles, any idea what is the best way to clean them?

Blackglass

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rytedeal

That's exactly what my L&P looks like. I also found the glass top to it that says Lea & Perrins. Did the top have cork on it at one time? As for my other bottles, any idea what is the best way to clean them?

I believe the glass top had cork around it, so it could create a seal.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The bases were usually marked with mold ID codes, if anything. The first 2 are starting to sound like beer bottles.. do they have crown tops?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I think it did have a cork, which would've rotted away from being buried. Soap and water and a good bottle brush is the best way to clean, but I thought up another way to clean...

Take two high power magnets (like the supermagnets for magnetic boards). One should be wrapped in paper towel, but not so much that it can't fit through the mouth of the bottle you want to clean. Put that one in the bottle, then hold another magnet to the outside of the bottle so that it's attracting the inside magnet. Moving the outside magnet around the bottle will cause the inside magnet to wipe inside. It works well if you want to be precise.

rytedeal

Reaction score
The AB I believe stands for Adolfus Busch, so I think that is a beer bottle. its tip looks like it could have had a bottle cap. The other clear bottle has a much longer top piece, about an inch long and looks like maybe a cork was used.

rytedeal

Reaction score
Cyberdigger,

Any idea what company was the mustard bottle and what the 1786 on the bottom means?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator