Identifying my bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
No idea who made the mustard, but that doesn't discourage me from loving it. The 1786 probably stands for mold # 1786.
On bottle #2, or was it #1.. does the top look like this (sans stopper, of course) ?

181112F69882440FBB8BE5516B6D4047.jpg

Attachments

• 181112F69882440FBB8BE5516B6D4047.jpg
    181112F69882440FBB8BE5516B6D4047.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 60

rytedeal

Reaction score
Cyberdigger,

No. the top is the same diameter for about an inch. I am trying to send you a photo but cant get the image size correct. I could email you?

rytedeal

Reaction score
Still can't figure out how to get the photo the right size. I will keep trying.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
go ahead and email me pix, I'll get 'em up.. or try opening the image with paint and re-sizing by 50%.. or both.. [;)]

rytedeal

Reaction score
I emailed you a picture of both bottles. the clear bottle I would like to identify. it has no markings of any kind. Would this bottle have used a cork? Any idea what its contents was? worth anyting?

Thanks for your help!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello rytedeal; I have down loaded erfanview for free and it is good for sizing the pictures.
> I also have a newbee file; to help new collectors identify the bottles to bring home from a dig or find. I thought you might get some tips from it.
> I see where you are new to the FORUM. I decided to write to you to make a couple of points regarding collecting old bottles. # 1 The bottles that have seam lines on the sides of the finish (the top of a bottle, will not have much value. This means to bottle collectors that the bottle was made on an ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine). The bottles that have the most value are the hand made, mouth blown bottles. These bottles will have a hand tooled finish with swirled lines around the glass. They will also have marks on the bottom that show us how the bottle was empontilled. This word refers to the application of a handle put on the bottom of the bottle so the bottle maker could apply glass to the top finish area, and tool it to the desired finish specifications. After he has done that the bottle is taken in a forked tool and the empontilled handle is tapped and broken off the bottle. The completed bottle is then placed into an annealing oven to neutralize the cords of stress put in the glass during the forming process. Failure to anneal the bottle would cause it to explode if not annealed.

This is the review that is a great study of old books and learning. Best of luck to you. I have collected glass for 73 or four years. RED Matthews .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator