In 1964 Jay and the Americans opened for the Beatles.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
Its later than I thought .......

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Anthony Maresco was a friend of mine I met through a business client and also a good friend Tony Butler.Tony was the manager of the singing group the Spinners and the doo wop group Anthony and the Sophmores (Tony Maresco). Tony Maresco passed away in 1998 but the man could sing.He sang at my wifes and I ten year wedding anniversary in 1993.He refused to be paid because I had done quite a bit of Telephone and cable tv cabling at his shore home in New Jersey.Slow dancing with my wife to this song is a memory I will never forget nore will she.To have him 10 feet away with his band felt like I was in the 50s at a high school dance.I feel bad for the kids today because they will never experience this kind of music. He sang 4 more songs and stayed for another hour signing autographs and telling stories to all of us about the music stars he met.God bless Tony ......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aaJ8Jtmwv8

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

I like her !! surface she is the original queen of funk!!Now here is a neat little video The tall guy in Jay and the Americans seen in the 1965 video founded the group his name is Kenny Vance.Well here he is the tall white guy!!!recently in Cleveland with Frankie Lymon and the teenagers group singing Acapela outside in the parking lot.All of them were to be inducted into the hall of fame later that evening.This is unbridled truely harmonious unsurpassed in sound singing from the heart.I like the fact the one guy is recording it with is I-phone!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj70nDhuXvU

STEVE :THANKS FOR POSTING!ARETHA is the QUEEN OF SOUL...now George Clinton is the KING OF FUNK [SLY STONE holds that title for me but...]just had to tell you that...[:)] A friend of mine got to see the BEATLES in Atl. 1964..and Nina had a cousin that was gonna take her to see them..but her mom wouldn't let her go!I would have slipped off ,went any way and took 25 butt beatings to have seen them ..YEAH YEAH YEAH ,OUCH OUCH OUCH!![8D] I could hardly afford their records,much less go see them!At the time [64] for me it was just all BRitish!Period!MY friends and I tried to sound like the BEATLES ..like Roger Miller sang back then in ENGLAND SWINGS [WHICH I DID LIKE and have most every album Roger Miller ever did..love him!] "ALL IN VAIN" especially with our southern accents! JAMIE THE 5th BEATLE [THEY HATED PEOPLE SAYING THAT![:)]]

Of course a little latter I loved American acts as much as English..especially MOTOWN!!!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Evening Musical Diggers,

I gotta say that when I first became aware of the Beatles, i was not impressed and thought they were ripping off American Rock. British Invasion-wise I was always more of a Rolling Stones fan.

RS64.jpg
The Stones were more rooted in the Blues and that spoke to me more than the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" harmonies. They seemed to bring a new translation to some of their covers of American R&B, to my ears. I wonder where they might have gone had Brian Jones lived.

jimi_hendrix_brian_jones.jpg

41AD7APW1YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
This album from the 1963 Craw-Daddy Club sessions is another one that translates well today. Have a listen to Pontiac Blues.

williamsonsonny.jpg

cookie

Reaction score
Steve- Jay and the Americans had a sound of their own- his voice , one of a kind. I have heard the story that Elvis said he never wanted to follow Roy Orbison on stage .......

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Yep I have heard all three versions Surface.I like Thurston Howe the III 3rds[;)] the best probably because it got and still gets to this day if you listen to the oldies channels the most airtime of any of the versions.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
From Love Me Do to I Want You I love this band the best, but there's also just tons and tons of other great music out there, I'm really enjoying the links you guys are posting!! [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler