Incredible 8" Teal Whitall Tatum W. T. & Co. Medicine Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
Happy 4th of July!!

I watched this bottle on eBay for at least a year and lost interest. A month or so ago I put it in my watch list again and having been on eBay for years the seller made me a good offer. See first picture. Perhaps some of you saw this bottle described as "Antique 8" Black Emerald Green Pharmacy Bottle w/ Label W. H. Schieffelin & Co." I noted the tiny sliver of teal color around the top.

The seller informed me prior to shipment that because of USPS regulations he drilled a hole in the cork and poured out the contents. He then placed a small amount of paper towel around the top and bubble wrapped.

I received a soggy black smelly mess. The paper towel held back nothing and since the contents was probably 30% alcohol what was left of the label was soaked and destroyed. So I cleaned it completely. See the results in pictures.

Color: In some light it looks emerald green (as the seller suggested), and in some light it looks blue, but I'm going with teal.

Condition: Mint. 10 out of 10. To some it might be too perfect. No bubbles, no whittle, no cracks, no chips, no flea bites, no variations.

Provenance: W. H. Schieffelin & Co. was a famous Pharmacy/Apothecary supplier in New York and published several price catalogs for the trade in the 1860's and 1870's. The seller said nothing about the Whitall Tatum mark "W.T. & Co." on the bottom. That dates this bottle to 1875 - 1901.

Attachments

• Teal Bottle W. H. Schieffelin & Co. A.jpg
    Teal Bottle W. H. Schieffelin & Co. A.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Teal WT&Co A.JPG
    Teal WT&Co A.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 192
  • Teal WT&Co B.JPG
    Teal WT&Co B.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • Teal WT&Co C.JPG
    Teal WT&Co C.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • Teal WT&Co D.JPG
    Teal WT&Co D.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • Teal WT&Co E.JPG
    Teal WT&Co E.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 141

bottles_inc

Reaction score
The usps would probably ship a live cat without a second thought. Why mess with a buyers purchase after they pay to comply with non enforceable and nonsensical rules? I hate sticklers! I would've asked for a refund. Tell this seller to use their brain next time

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler