Indian Queen / Dr Fisch

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trussin

Reaction score
Hey all, I was on a S. Jersey Glass site and found two well know bottles. Any idea how an Indian Queen or Dr Fisch bottle could be attributed to anywhere? Come on Brian, I know you know this one... Thanks for your help. Im about to move to Williamstown NJ and I am thinking of dumping my whole collection and keeping only bottles blown or produced within 30 miles of the house. I dont want to part with the Dr Fisch if I dont have to. JB in NJ

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The Brown's Indian Queen and the Dr. Fisch's Bitters were first attributed to the Whitney Glass Works in Glassboro, NJ by Stephen Van Rensselaer and Rhea Mansfield Knittle. McKearin supports this attribution, as does Adeline Pepper in "The Glass Gaffers of New Jersey." Pepper also asserts that Whitney was the maker of the National Bitters Ear of Corn, at least one variation of the 6 Log Drakes, the unmarked "Pineapple Bitters," the original EG Booz bottle and several of Warner's bottle, including the Tippecanoe. In 1885 the factory filled the order for an astonishing SEVEN AND ONE-HALF MILLION Warner's Safe Cure Bottles...

trussin

Reaction score
Thankyou grasshopper, you are wise. JB in NJ and welcome to the forum. I think you will make a lot of friends here.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Trussin ,
I can't add much to Jeff's post ! He is very knowlegable on early glass in all catagories !
He has helped me several times with glass questions. And I have obtained several killer Drake's from him in the past .
Jeff , Do you happen to know which Drake's mold was attributed to Whitney ? Thanks , Brian

kungfufighter

Reaction score
You ask an awfully good question Brian. In reviewing the photo on page 39 in Pepper's book it certainly appears that the mold she attributes to Whitney is Ring's D108 with the oversized embossing. With that said, Pepper only pictures the front of the bottle so the real "tell" for that mold (the way that the 1862 date interrupts the thatching) cannot be seen. My assessment then, is not a conclusive one but rather an "educated guess" based on the photo. It would be interesting to hear if any of the NJ diggers have found Drakes shards in or around Glassboro and whether or not they have matched them up with Ring's line drawings.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Drakes were also made in Louisville, Lancaster, and Ravenna. I'm especially interested in knowing which one is from Ravenna. One from Whitney would probably be one that comes in puce sometimes.

mikmis

Reaction score
did anyone ever find the answer to this ?i have alot of drakes bases just shards but they have diferent marks on them .maybe there is an answer in the markings as to where they were made.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles