Indy people, help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
Etched amber bottle, looks like a beer. Cannot find any info, other than company was absorbed into large brewery. Pics later.
Metzger Brewing (arched over)
MONOGRAM (over)
Jac. Metzger (over)
Indianapolis, Ind.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Josh,

I found, "Lieber beers were bottled by Jacob Metzger and Company. Jacob Metzger, a German immigrant and father-in-law of Herman Lieber, bottlied Metzger and Tafel brand beers also brewed by Lieber. He also bottled Budweiser, Bass Ale, and Guinness Extra Stout. This company existed until 1896 and may have produced some beer on its own." and reference to another Metzger, "The 1870 Indianapolis City Directory has an ad for C. F. Schmidt, Brewer of Lager Beer, Smith's Square, Indianapolis. The directory lists John Buhier, Louis Ehrmann, Ernest Ihrzohn, Henry Metzger, and Joseph Resoh as the brewers." at this Indiana Brewers History site.

Here's a little more information, though in a tiny font.

metzger.jpg
This bill head and: "In 1877 German-born Jacob Metzger established Jacob Metzger & Co., a bottling company, at 30-32 East Maryland Street. He moved his business into a building that was built specifically for bottling. Metzger equipped the building with the finest and latest machinery. A 25 horse power steam engine supported the operations of the bottling process. The company grew so well that by 1884 he had to expand.
Shortly before 1893 Metzger added equipment that would allow him to manufacture carbonated beverages. He kept a vast variety of stock that was considered by the people of the time as "of general excellence." Jacob Metzger & Co. was the sole bottler of P. Lieber Brewing Company's (Indianapolis) Tafel beer. He also had business with many other domestic beverage companies as well as foreign. For example Budweiser, Bass Ale, Guinness Extra Stout, imported and domestic ginger ale, blackberry brandies, and champagnes were just a few of the beverages Jacob Metzger & Co. bottled. Metzger sold his products throughout Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and Kentucky." were found here.

There's a little more information and some pictures here, along with this interesting tidbit, "Kurt Vonnegut's grandfather was Albert Lieber. The recipe for a dark lager beer that Peter Lieber devised was brewed by Wyncoop Brewing, Denver, in 1996 to celebrate the new library there. It was called Kurt's Mile-High Malt. A "secret ingredient" of the brew was coffee."

It sounds like Jacob Metzger was a very prolific bottler of many tasty beverages. I'd sure like to see that picture and any other Metzger products you dig up.

JGUIS

Reaction score
That's frickin awesome info, thank you. My new digging buddy took it with first pick, he's supposed to be joining and posting a pic. I pulled it out, and set it with the growing pile of slicks during the dig. I picked it up to move it for the pick, he picked it up and asked about the SB&G CO on the base, and handed it back to me. I looked at it again, and wiped most of it off before throwing it back in the hole, and caught the etching at the last second. Whew.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler