Info on privy, probe etc.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Well, I am helping a guy demo a 1880's house that has an original privy. He is gonna let me dig it up but I've never done it before. All I know is what I've read here over the past couple of years. My question is what all do I need equipment wise? Like shovels, barrels, etc.?

I need a makeshift probe in a hurry too so I can know exactly where the hole is. Do they sell steel rods at advance I could fashion into a probe? How would I rig the handle up without welding?

Basically just need to know everything I need to get the job done as cheaply and fast as possible. He is building a garage over the privy area on march 7. So, thanks for any advice everybody. If your gonna be in the eastern McDonald's area next weekend swing on by and help if u want. Not that old of a house for new England area, buy it is one of the oldest your gonna get around here. Nothing still stands here from before the civil war that I know of.

rpinkham

Reaction score
HI, There are a few guys who fabricate them. I made one by simply buying a tile probe and welding a bead a few inches up from the tip. Works OK

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Oh yeah? Pick one up at lowe's or home depot? Meant to say eastern N. Carolina, not eastern McDonald's. Stupid auto-spell.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
tile probe

Typing that in actually gave me some good results. I imagine with very little modification, a tile probe could be a makeshift privy probe, though there's no substitute for the real thing.

Tile_Probe.jpg

From here

RedGinger

Reaction score
The book you need is on this page. Even though I already dig, this book is fun and informative. Eddie is a nice guy and knows what he's talking about.

druggistnut

Reaction score
If you need something NOW, go to a store that rents/sells excavating equipment (call first). They will have yellow fiberglass tile probes (with a metal tip) that will work for a bit. They are in no means going to stand up to repeated usage that we put them through, but it will find a pit for you.
Bill

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice already. Worked with him for 3 hours today and had to quit. Can't move my back hurts so bad. In such poor shape, but I'm happy to be getting back in shape. Well, let's see, depending on the location of the hole he may not be building the garage on top of it. So, I need to find it. He is a contractor and said I could use his shovels, barrels, wheel barrels etc. He is living on the property in a trailer, so he never leaves, lol.

How accurate have u guys found the sanborn maps to be in exact location of out buildings? I found a circular depression today when cleaning up some trash. May just be where a trash bin was sometime ago because its not much bigger than that. Really can't spend more than $50 bucks this week on anything. Isn't there a rod in the trunk of older model gmc cars or something like that? Can it be made into one?
I
Just spent $200 on a Pepsi bottle Saturday, so all my fun/food money is gone. Yeah, food is a luxury for me behind rent, power, phone, cable, insurance, and medicine. Any solutions that are dirt cheap? I know about where the pit will be, just need to line it up so the hole isn't bigger than it should be.

Don't mean to be a dirt poor snot rag, I appreciate all your info. Just broke right now, lol.

rpinkham

Reaction score
Maybe you could get by on this one by digging some test holes? Yeah, the guys who make them frequently use the spring steel trunk springs from old cars. Bet you could improvise something for this one though...

lexdigger

Reaction score
If time and money is an issue, just try some test holes in obvious locations. I would check the round depression you mentioned. It could be a privy, a cistern or a trash pit. On a lot of yards you can walk out the back door and right up to the privy... usually along the back property line in the Center, one of the corners or in ALL Three locations. I've found them without a probe before, so it can be done. Just remember to search for Walls and expose them all before digging more than a few feet deep.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey