Inherited 300 bottles today!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Annie

Reaction score
I have lots of washing and cleaning to do before I can post any pics, but I just wanted to list a few things and see what I have.

A sample:
Mexican Mustang Liniment, Lyon Mfg Co, New York: small round bottle
Dove brand Pure Lemon, The Frank Tea & Spice Co, Cinti, O: very small, rectangular base
Chamberlains Colic, Cholera, and Diarrhea Remedy, Des Moines, IA, USA; rectangular base
Clover Imperial medicine

Soda bottles with names like Quiky, Upper 10, Ruth's beverage, embossed Dr. Pepper bottles
Lots and lots of snuff bottles, whiskey bottles

Question: What year did companies start to bottle beer? I rec'd a beer bottle said to be 100 years old, but I have no experience with this.

Thanks for any id's you can provide.

Annie

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Annie... Welcome to the forum...

Are the snuff bottles early; any open pontil medicines? Any bitters bottles?

Ron

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ANNIE...Welcome to here.
The Dove Brand is collected by the same folks that collect Jumbo PeaNut Butter. Value about $15 or so, depending upon which one, condition,etc.

Mexican Mustang Liniment was around for a long time...which one you have will determine its value.

Beer has been bottled in the US since Jamestown was founded...in Europe even longer...All again depends upon which/what type of beer bottle it is.

Sodas are also dependent upon which size,shape, type.......
In other words: we need you take & post some pics... [;)]

Annie

Reaction score
Ron, I honestly don't know much about bottles. I had to look up pontil. I don't have a lot of time today to look for markings, but as I clean them I will post pics.
I had to dig them out of a collapsed building yesterday. My father collected these and he has Alzheimer's now, and he told me he wanted me to get his bottles out. I thought there might be a few, and I took three boxes. We dug and dug and filled the entire back end of my SUV. So almost all of these bottles are pretty dirty. I put 20 or so in the sink last night to soak and I've read up on cleaning them so I will start that tonight.
My dad metal detected around old homes for years and years and dug through the trash piles. All of these bottles are bottles he found around old home sites.

I read a little bit online about repairing old bottles, and I only picked up the ones that were not broken. There were several that were broken in large pieces. Should I go back and pick up those old pieces of glass?

bearswede

Reaction score
I'd say, mostly for historic interest... Altho, if a bottle is extremely rare, a repaired specimen can be worth some money...

We'll all be anxiously awaiting your photos/descriptions...

Ron

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn