Insulator dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
Brian said: " Diggin just isnt nearly as fun as gettin em off a pole. "
Well, now... that's not all true. Some of us hate taking our feet off the ground. ;)

Those confederate eggs are a real piece of work. I'd love to get my hands on one some day, but thus far, they haven't been in the cards. We don't find too many in Canada, so don't take them for granted!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Brian & Barrett, I mean no disrespect when I use the term common to a insulator or a bottle.My definition is different than others.I consider something relatively common if it is something I could easily find and purchase at about any time.It doesn't mean I wouldn't have to pay good money for the item.There are bottles that are valued in the hundreds that would fit this description to me.If and when I ever dig a confederate egg it would be priceless to me and you are right it would be a rare find.

As far as getting them off of a pole that doesn't sound like much fun to me,kind of like shooting a sitting duck.Besides 99% of the good ones have been picked,I doubt if 1% of the buried ones have been found.

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, Doug. (It is Doug, right?) My days of pole-climbing are long over now. Nothing like plunging your arms into mud to pull that priceless jewel from it's 100+ year burial.
I couldn't agree more about there being less than 1% of the buried stuff having been found, as well. A bit of simple math using Montreal Telegraph Company stats from the 1870s will tell you that Canada's most common threadless style, the unembossed CD-742, was probably manufactured in the range of 100,000+ pieces. And yet, probably less than 700-800 exist in the hobby today, that figure including many, many repaired examples. Those numbers, on both counts, are of course vague estimates, but you get the point.
Keep looking down!

NSL8RS

Reaction score
Do you still have any insulators? I'm looking to add new ones to my collection. Thanks!

carobran

Reaction score
[sm=lol.gif]my grandfather said hes got a couple of pinnkish ones somewhere[8|]

VTdigger

Reaction score
Yeah! this is a good thread, never heard of an insulator dump, I've only "dug" one whole insulator so far and even taht one had chips. The rest, I find on the surface, and mostly I don't save them, as there the same Whitehall Tatum ones I already have a few of.

NSL8RS

Reaction score
The picture of the chartreuse "shard" made my jaw drop. First of all, I think this particular shade is an "unlisted" color. Secondly, I would price it at $1,500-2,000+ if complete or intact. Even what you've found is historic from the hobby perspective. I've never seen one at a show! By the way, I love the bottles I've seen here too! I have a few myself, but truly envy you "diggers" because a dug aqua common means so much more than a bought cobalt or amber.

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BellwoodBoys

I like this old post![:)] thanks for bringing it up again[:D]
no problem,somebody was viewing it in the active user list,otherise id have never saw it[:)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229