investing in bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JENLUVSBOTTLES

Reaction score
Aaron and I were thinking of investing in bottles for our retirement. Which bottles do you guys see increasing the most over the years? What would be the best investments for the future... any ideas?

jays emporium

Reaction score
For investment potential bottles would need to have these characteristics:
Rarity
Condition
Color
Collectible popularity
That last category I just made up but in my opinion it is probably the most important. Historical flasks and Bitters have been the most popular so prices for them have always been somewhat high. If you can anticipate what kind of bottles might become popular in 20+ years you could get the best return on your investment.
For example, if I had bought a nice amber Indian Queen Bitters in 1980 for about $300. I could get about $900 for it now. Not a bad investment but when you consider inflation, not that great either. On the other hand if I had bought 100 scarce ACL soda bottles with pictures on them for $3 each they might bring $5,000 - $10,000 now because those bottles were not popular 30 years ago but became hot during that time. The hard part is figuring out what people will want 20 years in the future.
If you buy rare bottles with good color in great condition you can't go wrong but if you can figure out what will be likely to become popular that is a bargain now you could make out big-time.
That's my advise. Good luck.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

For investment potential bottles would need to have these characteristics:
Rarity
Condition
Color
Collectible popularity
That last category I just made up but in my opinion it is probably the most important. Historical flasks and Bitters have been the most popular so prices for them have always been somewhat high. If you can anticipate what kind of bottles might become popular in 20+ years you could get the best return on your investment.
For example, if I had bought a nice amber Indian Queen Bitters in 1980 for about $300. I could get about $900 for it now. Not a bad investment but when you consider inflation, not that great either. On the other hand if I had bought 100 scarce ACL soda bottles with pictures on them for $3 each they might bring $5,000 - $10,000 now because those bottles were not popular 30 years ago but became hot during that time. The hard part is figuring out what people will want 20 years in the future.
If you buy rare bottles with good color in great condition you can't go wrong but if you can figure out what will be likely to become popular that is a bargain now you could make out big-time.
That's my advise. Good luck.

Good advice!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Flasks, Good bitters, Colored pontiled medicines, I think these would be my choices if I was buying solely for investment purposes.

Chris

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I say keep looking for sleeper deals like that Backwards J.. nothing makes for a better investment than getting in small.. [;)]

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I say keep looking for sleeper deals like that Backwards J.. nothing makes for a better investment than getting in small.. [;)]

That's it! I myself try to avoid collecting one type of bottle because i feel like i'll get too emotionally attached to a bottle i see and pay too much...the down side of that is that I cant specialize in anything. Digging is the best investment someone can make.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles