irregular Blue bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mabel

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking to identify and date this 5" blue bottle. The seams stop above the shoulder. The glass is twice as thick in some areas, especially the bottom and the lip. The bottom says "Patent applied for" around the edge. In the center is a large X, flanked by "8Y", and with "ll" above the X. The front of the bottle says "Patented March 6, 83."
I am a novice and interested in how it was made, contents, etc. Thanks, Mabel
(Now I will see if I can attach the photos.)

Ki20087.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ki20087.jpg
    Ki20087.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 94

olddump

Reaction score
That is a BIXBY [they are listed as ink and or shoe polish] I have always thought of them as inks because I have other BIXBY inks the bottles were being used in the 1880s and 90s. They are a nice bottle but pretty common. They also come in a few colors too. I hope this helps you.

mabel

Reaction score
Boy! You guys are good! Now that I squint at it I can see a faint "i" in front of the "x", but the "B" isn't there.
Why is the base so thick on one side and thin on the other if it was made in a mold? What sorts of lids did they use back then on these bottles? Thanks, Mabel

woody

Reaction score
It probably had a cork stopper, Mabel.
The reason it is thicker on one side and thinner on the other is the way the glass cooled after being fired.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum !
I'm not an expert in this category....But I always thought the Bixby Bottles were NOT inks. But rather a Shoe polish or mucilage. The Bixby's come in a variety of colors from Aqua to Olive green. And one could put a nice color variant grouping together . You've got your start with the Aqua. Go for it ! Brian

diginit

Reaction score
If you want to see a couple more Bixby's, check out the post "6' from the last test hole " in "Digging and Finding".Yours does look more aqua than blue, but different lighting does strange things to cameras. I understand aqua is the most common. great bottle!

olddump

Reaction score
Here is a picture of four Bixbys all diffrent three ARE inks and the one is probably thier shoe polish bottle. So you see they make them both. I allways thought of them as inks because of the books I have all list them as such, but I know they made other stuff.

Tom, Olddump

P.S. The one on the far right is poish

Lj22476.jpg

mabel

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for all the information. I believe I bought the bottle in a flurry of confusion, thinking it was one of the earliest Phillips Milk of Magnesia bottles (which I collect). It's good to have the bottle identified, even if it's not as exotic as I imagined.

I'm pleased to find this forum. I've been wondering what happened to Harry Pristis, whose postings I used to read on Worldwide Antique Bottle Collectors forum.
My best to you all. Mabel

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen