Is a bottle a COMMON if...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ratbastard

just for osiaboyce here's three dug acl bottles. i think they are real nice but im sure osiaboyce will find something wrong with them

C2777B2103354F00A4FE1BDF7CDC1254.jpg

Why do you feel as if I'd find something wrong w/ them?

You have never heard me criticize any bottle or any personal possession anyone has presented here............never.

If it's something nice, I'll complement them on it. If it is a piece of junk I'll say nothing. Again if I know nothing about it, I will say nothing. If they MAY ASK what I think about a piece of junk, I'll try and tell them in a most courteous way.

Do I try and fake intellect and speak above others? I'd think not, and if i do I'm extremly sorry.

If you act like an arrogant phuqing dick who has no class, manners, I'll call ya out on it, I don't care who you are.

Sorry, I don't often go w/ the status quo, or try to be the devils advocate, it's just that I hear Thoreau's Drummer.......and it's a tune that I can march to.

My opinions and attitudes are based on fiftythree years of life experiences and observations that I'm sure the most of you would shudder at. I'm not a 9 to 5 kinda person......to many years as a 1%er

................and to think I would say something bad.

bne74honda

Reaction score
WOW, geography and culture make a big difference when it comes to finding bottles/glass at Goodwill. I lived in Barrie (north of Toronto Canada) for many years and had little luck at Goodwill, aside from a couple of great snags on 120 yr old wash basins & jugs. But since I moved down, west of Toronto and into an area of great cultural difference - the majority population has come from the middle east - there is one Goodwill at which I am consistently finding bargains on quality antiques. I am convinced that because the culture is so different, there aren't as many people who feel that historic "connection" to things.

All I know for sure is this one store consistently produces fine collectibles. I'll try to get my last months' discoveries photo'd and up here. I typically visit every thrift/Goodwill/Sally-Anne in my area at least 4 times a month. On both wash basins, I realised a clear profit of $370 for both. Not bad for Goodwill.

Brian

ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

Where have you been looking?
a] Antique store........hardly ever any bottles there.
b] Goodwill.........never any bottles there.
c] junkstore...........well that's the best place to look.
d] estate sale..........that's only good if person was a bottle collector/hoarder.
e] Craigs list..........see above or someone stumbled on a load.
f] old barns and out buildings..........most have already been checked.
g] digging........... finding a good acl is slim to none.
h] eBay...........you want bottles this is the place to go. Open 24/7/365
   example #1  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=chocolate+soldier&_sacat=13915&_odkw=&_sop=10&_osacat=13915&_sticky=1&_trkparms=65%253A7%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_catref=1&_sc=1%7C1

example #2  http://www.ebay.com/csc/Sodas-/13915/i.html?_sop=10&_sticky=1&_trkparms=65%253A7%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_nkw=chocolate+soldier&_catref=1&_sc=1%7C1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Addendum: If you are looking for $5.00 and under bottles this is not the place to go.

i] bottle shows........if you want bottles this is the place to go.........it's all they do.

..........and remember "Just because you don't see, that does not mean it's rare."

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
It's the geography and socio economic aspects of living in the Deep South.

Small, rural, largly impoverished areas do not make for good bottle hunting areas. Yall don't remember Mr. Lobey and myself going round and round about this? Damn I miss him...............

Also, we in the South do not have a history of glass houses in the general local as our Northern counterparts.......ALL Southern bottles were made in the North untill the late 19th century. An example of this would be we did not have a glass house in S.C. till 1901 I belive is the date, and it only lasted a tear or two.

Then in 1910 we got the Laurens Glass Works, a company that has made the finest collectable bottles ever........IMO.

Still you don't these bottles in any quanity/quality is said stores in the South........ask Harball, Henry, Don, Dan, TD, Buster.........and when you do see em' the seller thinks they are made of gold.

flasherr

Reaction score
Its even worse here in Texas. I think that is one reason i collect Acl. I think they display nicely and can be seen at a distance. Some northern collectors and even some southern wont touch them they think they are to new. Well this is what is Most readily available to me on a regular basis at a fair price. So this is what i collect and enjoy most. Dont get me wrong i enjoy all types of bottles and love this forum for the wealth of knowledge on many different levels.

RCO

Reaction score
alot of pop bottles are considered common because they were mass produced and its though alot are still in existence . what might not be common is these bottles in really good condition , if buying so called common bottles make sure your getting the nicer ones not ones with damage .

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
One factor in labelling a bottle common is (I think) how readily available it is. If you wanted to buy one and you went to a local bottle show - could you? If its common, I'd say the answer should be yes. Unless, it is a common slick or something. Then, the value is too low for people to bother bringing it to a bottle show maybe.

Ka0s

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

It's the geography and socio economic aspects of living in the Deep South.

Small, rural, largly impoverished areas do not make for good bottle hunting areas. Yall don't remember Mr. Lobey and myself going round and round about this? Damn I miss him...............

Also, we in the South do not have a history of glass houses in the general local as our Northern counterparts.......ALL Southern bottles were made in the North untill the late 19th century. An example of this would be we did not have a glass house in S.C. till 1901 I belive is the date, and it only lasted a tear or two.

Then in 1910  we got the Laurens Glass Works, a company that has made the finest collectable bottles ever........IMO.

Still you don't these bottles in any quanity/quality is said stores in the South........ask Harball, Henry, Don, Dan, TD, Buster.........and when you do see em' the seller thinks they are made of gold.

I have to agree to a point but there are a few stores where you can get good bottles at a decent price in the south, but these are the guys that travel north and to shows on a regular basis and buy to sell. They are also the guys that have specialized in bottles. Yes they will know what they have but they don't know everything and you can get great bottles at a good price. However to Pat's point, the number of these shops can be counted on one hand in the SC and NC area.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward