is it really safe to dig here?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Altom

Reaction score
Hello everyone I've been researching for possible good places to dig and or look for bottle dumps around my area which is pretty old in some places but I have come upon many frustrating and unsettling finds. Apparently just in my backyard not literally but not very far at all is a toxic waste dump and an old dump I tried inspecting not too long ago may have been contaminated as well since it seems to be covered an Buried with clay. And there are even some really bad superfund sites not far from me either sadly in the older parts of the valley I am in which would've seemed like good places to explore on google maps. What's a bottle Hunter to do?

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
realistically most of the hazards are going to be from fumes. i would say put some rubber gloves under your normal gloves and get a paint respirator NOT A DUST MASK. If your eyes start to feel funny or you get sick then I would quit but I think the biggest issue will be inhalation.

Is this area posted as hazardous?

luckiest

Reaction score
I think you will find that most old landfill sites are pretty toxic, you have to make up your mind weather it's worth the risk. I dig every site because I can't help myself but I wouldn't suggest it to others ha ha.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I will not dig any old dumps that have vent pipes and test well heads coming out of them. That means that they are still being monitored and contain serious hazards.
Bill

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
this is garbage we're digging in. unregulated, whatever you wanted to throw out garbage. any dump will contain some degree of heavy metals, petro-chemical solvents, and in some cases radioactive debris from those lantern mantles that were so popular before the light bulb. dig at your own obsessive compulsive risk is the way the game is played.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter