It was worse then,it was bad now,and it WILL happen again.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
As a part time weather aficionado I have studied past weather related events with great interest. As devastating as Hurricane Sandy was to my home state and New York it has been much worse before in the not so distant past. The big one if it hit today like Sandy would have brought the states on the entire Eastern seaboard to a complete stand still. Sandy is far from the worst hurricane to ever hit New Jersey and New York. What I hate the most are people like Al Gore whipping up hysteria by taking advantage of a situation that has occurred before and applying false principals to it suggesting man had a hand in the destruction. It has been much WORSE before in our recent history and BLAMING global climate change as the reason Sandy was so much more deadly this time is ludicrous and a blatant fallacy.

This type of storm has occurred many times before in our country's past and was not some freak chance once in a lifetime event. The death count instead of being 120 as Sandy caused might be closer to a few thousand. The storm from September of 1938 unleashed unreal total devastation from Florida to Massachusetts.The difference between Sandy and that storm was the path. The storm of 38 road the coast slowly, paralleling the entire coastline just 25 miles off shore. Winds were estimated at 120 mph in a large 100 mile circumference. If a storm like the 1938 beast were to come up the coast today the barrier Islands in New Jersey would have been wiped clean of any man made structures.

The weather is cyclic and repetitive and will repeat itself again and again in the coming years and there is nothing man can do to prevent it or to alter its strength. By the way the military had orders to shoot to kill LOOTERS in the city's back then,it was not an accepted practice like in today's environs .A persons property was respected unlike today. Read this story a small clip in a newspaper. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/52227605?searchTerm=tidal%20wave%20hurricane&searchLimits=fromyyyy=1938

Wait until you see how many snow storms come up the Eastern seaboard this year from North Carolina to Maine. If any of them are as powerful as Sandy God help us. Ill give you my winter prediction in two weeks.

surfaceone

Reaction score
The weather is cyclic and repetitive and will repeat itself again and again in the coming years and there is nothing man can do to prevent it or to alter its strength.

Hey Steve,

Well put, sir.

The Climate Changers are trying to latch on to this mess with all the tenacity of Tipper's divorce counsel. Can't one just hate Al, for who he is.

al-gore-440.jpg

JohnN

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Thank God for snowblowers...
Thank God I got my plow truck fixed. A snowblower isn't enough for what I have to clear. Although it will work if it is all I have.

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
That storm of 38 if i'm not mistaken actually ruined the summer home of catherin hepburn , catherin, her mom and sister were home when it hit ,they were washed inland quite some distance on the debris of what was left of the cottage .

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I agree, what made this one bad is the unreal fascination people have with living near the water. Yes, I have heard all the stories, we are an Island, yada yada yada. Used to be only duck farms and fishing shanties on the shore line, now every 100 feet is another 750k or more home, and this is NOT on Fire Island....
Why the heck someone would pay that kind of money to be 3 feet above the high tide line is beyond me.
I can see water from my home, in the winter, the Mill Pond, and I am about 20 to 25 feet above that. Close enough thank you very much.......many homes in my town were severely damaged by the high tides from the storm, just like what you are seeing on the news on TV.
Have we had storms like this in our past? You bet. At one time, the Great South Bay was a fresh water bog/swamp. A hurricane before the American Revolution created breaches in Fire Island, and the fresh water bog/swamp became the salt water Great South Bay.
Fire Island? People spend MILLIONS upon MILLIONS for a home on it, to be 50 feet from the Atlantic Ocean, on a pile of sand. Can you say stupid, I can.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
my prediction is no snow like last year. and thats that

my kid will be dissappointed, he is hoping for another one of those 4' blizzards we had a few years ago.
took us like a week to get all dug out.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NYCFlasks

I agree, what made this one bad is the unreal fascination people have with living near the water. Yes, I have heard all the stories, we are an Island, yada yada yada. Used to be only duck farms and fishing shanties on the shore line, now every 100 feet is another 750k or more home, and this is NOT on Fire Island....
Why the heck someone would pay that kind of money to be 3 feet above the high tide line is beyond me.
I can see water from my home, in the winter, the Mill Pond, and I am about 20 to 25 feet above that. Close enough thank you very much.......many homes in my town were severely damaged by the high tides from the storm, just like what you are seeing on the news on TV.
Have we had storms like this in our past? You bet. At one time, the Great South Bay was a fresh water bog/swamp. A hurricane before the American Revolution created breaches in Fire Island, and the fresh water bog/swamp became the salt water Great South Bay.
Fire Island? People spend MILLIONS upon MILLIONS for a home on it, to be 50 feet from the Atlantic Ocean, on a pile of sand. Can you say stupid, I can.

Interesting. I have wondered the same myself.

PD

Brains

Reaction score
I'm goin' for the no snow here as well. Last year was amazing- 40's and rain every day. Perfect depressing ohio winter. Go in the school building when it's still sort of dark out, go outside and look for the one blue spot in the sky. I used to tell other people walking out of class where the blue spot was, but no one else seemed as concerned with it as i was. Should be another good winter this year.

The ocean house thing? Sometimes people have too much money. I used to want to live by a body of water because i was freaked out by being land locked, now i'm freaked out by water. If i had that money, i'd buy....the new mazda cx-5 with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel and live in that.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology